Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Those Darn Deer

Those Darn Deer
Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-04-08 17:30:03

I have a big problem with deer in my area. Every year part of my crop is ruined b/c the deer get over the fence. Are there any tricks to repelling deer? I have heard of soap or hair or something like them but im not sure.
  • Deer
    Posted by Craig (Jackson772@aol.com) from Ohio on 2006-07-22 10:02:00

I found a website that might be of some help. Deer in Ohio are rampant and the link below might help. Email me if the link doesn't show up
  • Deer
    Posted by Craig from Ohio on 2006-07-22 09:59:00

I found a website that might be of some help. Deer in Ohio are rampant and the link below might help.
  • Deer
    Posted by Linda (tazmacc@yahoo.com) from Texas on 2002-06-04 11:53:55

I tie used CDs to fishing line between the light reflection and the sound seems to keep the deer and the birds out of the garden. I have a small pepper garden with no fence, just string and CDs tied around it...I have had no intruders....except my cat.
  • Darn Deer
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-09 18:49:16

Quoting Steve: ------------
    -I have a big problem with deer in my area. Every year part of my crop is ruined b/c the deer get over the fence. Are there any tricks to repelling deer? I have heard of soap or hair or something like them but im not sure.

Hair doesn't work, soap does, with Ivory supposedly being the best. I don't know what it is that they are eating. Are we talking fruit trees, shrubs, or veggies? If you could state what it is that they are eating, it would help.

Also, a solid fence of at least 6 feet is best. It has to be something they can't see over. If it is a netted fence it would need to be 8' feet or more.

Planting lavender around strawberries and veggies will often keep them away as well.

Martha Stewart had Ken Twombly as a guest on one of her shows and here is a link to what he had to say.

Newt

Deer Proofing Tactics

• Deer
      Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-04-10 18:05:06

I'm mostly talking veggies, mainly tomatoes. They seem to mostly eat them, and take a few bites out of peppers, cucumbers, and pumpkins. I'm also planting chives, and dill this year and maby mint in a herb garden, do they eat those? Putting lavender in it would probably help. Has any one heard of other deer repellant plants? Oregano?, i have that growing in my gardne and they never eat that, i don't think. The last years i used a temporary plastic net fence, but they jump over (it definately wasn't 8 ft.) I also tried a single wire fence that goes like a X across each post. It was sopose to disorient them or something. It worked for a while, but near the end of the summer they got through. Ive heard of garlic now too, but im not sure. i think i will have to try soap. I don't think your link worked. thanks tho Newt.

steve
      • deer
        Posted by ed from north jersey on 2002-04-18 19:40:05

-I'm mostly talking veggies, mainly tomatoes. They seem to mostly eat them, and take a few bites out of peppers, cucumbers, and pumpkins. I'm also planting chives, and dill this year and maby mint in a herb garden, do they eat those? Putting lavender in it would probably help. Has any one heard of other deer repellant plants? Oregano?, i have that growing in my gardne and they never eat that, i don't think. The last years i used a temporary plastic net fence, but they jump over (it definately wasn't 8 ft.) I also tried a single wire fence that goes like a X across each post. It was sopose to disorient them or something. It worked for a while, but near the end of the summer they got through. Ive heard of garlic now too, but im not sure. i think i will have to try soap. I don't think your link worked. thanks tho Newt.

-steve
      • Link
        Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-04-10 18:10:48

Sorry, your link did work, i just didn't see it. Thanks a lot.
        • deer
          Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-30 23:38:32

-Sorry, your link did work, i just didn't see it. Thanks a lot.

I hope some of the info was helpful. Good luck.

Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —