Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
growing grape seeds

growing grape seeds
Posted by Sheila (sheila_larsen@hotmail.com) from Charlotte, NC on 2002-04-08 16:11:05

Hi, my grandson and I are trying to find out if we can grow grape vines from grape seeds. If we can how deep should we plant them? Thanks, Sheila
  • Grapes from seed
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-04-12 07:35:50

As a general "rule of thumb" seeds should be as deep in the growing medium as they are big. Something as small as a mustard seed only needs to be in contact with the soil to germinate while the larger grape seed would need to be covered with soil, to the depth the seed is thick.
    You can aslo test germnination time by wrapping some of those seeds (if you have several) in a damp paper towel placed in a plastic baggy placed in a warm spot (top of a refrigerator works) for a while. Check on these periodically so mold doesn't develop and to see when germination takes place.
    • Buying seeds
      Posted by Chanda Stover from Ohio on 2006-01-05 06:35:00

Can someone tell me where I can buy concord grape seeds? All I can find are the vines and I prefer to start with seeds. Thanks!
    • grapes from seed
      Posted by Lina from Ca. Sunset zo on 2003-11-11 14:55:54

Why would you want to plant from seed? If you plant from seed, you may not get the true grape like the parent grape...worse, you may get a wild grape with weaker fruiting capabilities. Here where we grow many grapes, we get cuttings when the grapes are pruned (late fall to early winter) and put them in the ground. They can temporarily be put in a trench and partially covered or can be planted upright in the ground. The cuttings should be about a foot or more long and should have 2 "buds". In 2 or 3 years you will have grapes.
      The only problem is to remember which tip is up and which is down when it is time to plant them in the spring, although some say that it doesn't really make a difference.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —