Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
fig/ficus tree

fig/ficus tree
Posted by Gail from 5/6 on 2002-04-08 13:53:00

My ficus tree looks like it's dying a slow death. It really lost a lot of leaves this winter. I've also noticed on the leave that remain, there is a small white speck on the underside at the base of the leaf and top of the leaf stem. Just one white speck per leaf. Is this scale? I treated it last summer with a house plant insecticide, but apparently it hasn't solved the problem. Also, I'm wondering if it's okay to prune this tree, and if so, how much? Thanks for your help!

Gail
  • Ficus tree care
    Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com) from NY on 2002-04-08 19:25:18

Hi Gail,

The white ball on each leaf is a ball of hardened sap. It is quite common and perfectly normal. It is not scale.

Ficus trees that drop lots of leaves, especially in winter, usually do so because of inadequate light. They really should be permanently located in front of you sunniest window so they receive maximum light all year long. Changing their location also precipitates leaf drop, so it is best to find a sunny spot where you can leave your ficus permanently.

Ficus trees respond very well to pruning at any time. All stems and twigs that are brittle should be cut off entirely because they are dead. Long branches that have lost many of their interior leaves should be cut back by one-third to one-half. Healthy trees will put out new growth at the ends of the newly cut branches. Thus pruning helps keep a ficus tree looking full and healthy.

I have written an article on complete ficus tree care that I will email to anyone who sends a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will Creed, Horticulturist
    Horticultural Help, NYC
    Email: wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

P.S. You may be interested in my website at www.HorticulturalHelp.com and my Indoor Plant Bulletins that I publish monthly.

Quoting Gail: ------------
    -My ficus tree looks like it's dying a slow death. It really lost a lot of leaves this winter. I've also noticed on the leave that remain, there is a small white speck on the underside at the base of the leaf and top of the leaf stem. Just one white speck per leaf. Is this scale? I treated it last summer with a house plant insecticide, but apparently it hasn't solved the problem. Also, I'm wondering if it's okay to prune this tree, and if so, how much? Thanks for your help!

-Gail

Will Creed

• Ficus tree article
      Posted by Will Creed from NY on 2007-01-25 05:56:00

Several readers have requested my article on the care of Ficus trees.

If you would like a copy, you must send an email request directly to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

I cannot reply to requests posted on this site.

Insiders' Plant Information

• fiddle leaf fig tree
        Posted by Rhoda Campbell from North Carolina on 2009-03-09 10:07:00

I have a beatiful fiddle fig tree, whhich I purchased last year. It has been doing well,however, the leaves at the top of the plant are very small compared to the body of the plant. Shouild I re-pot, prunt the top, or place in a well lit window. Right now it is in a corner. The top is also starting to lean toward the window or light. I just keep turning it to grow in the opposite direction. The leaves are green and healthy, but the plant itself looks spinly. What can I do to make it fuller. I use a little plant food once a week when I water it.

Thank You

R.Campbell
    • Ficus tree
      Posted by Debra Al-Duwaisan from Michigan on 2007-01-25 03:51:00

Please forward your article regarding Ficus Care to me - I just don't know why my ficus is sheading leaves like crazy all of a sudden. The leaves that fall are yellow. Could it be the amount of watering? Thank you so much!
    • ficus
      Posted by Donna D'Arrigo (dmdonna@ix.netcom.com) from Paramus NJ on 2006-01-06 12:19:00

I would love to read your article on ficus.

Mine loves to be outside in the warmer months. Once I bring it in..it drops way too many leaves...I will try a plant light as you suggested to another person.

Thanks !
      • ficus article
        Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@horticulturalhelp.com) from NYC on 2006-01-06 04:32:00

Hi Donna,

I have to have your email address to send you my article. You can send your request directly to me at:

wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Will
      • ficus article
        Posted by Will Creed (wcreed@horticulturalhelp.com) from NYC on 2006-01-06 04:32:00

Hi Donna,

I have to have your email address to send you my article. You can send your request directly to me at:

Will
    • ficus
      Posted by Donna D'Arrigo (dmdonna@ix.netcom.com) from Paramus NJ on 2006-01-06 12:18:00

I would love to read your article on ficus.

Mine loves to be outside in the warmer months. Once I bring it in..it drops way too many leaves...I will try a plant light as you suggested to another person.

Thanks !

Donna /d

• Ficus article
        Posted by William E. Creed from NYC on 2006-01-06 04:36:00

Will
    • Ficus Care
      Posted by Liz from Maryland on 2005-08-15 10:31:00

Will,
      I would be interested in your article on Ficus care. Thank you! Liz
    • Ficus Care
      Posted by Lori (lshad1@yahoo.com) from GA on 2005-03-29 09:49:00

Will,
      I would be interested in your article on Ficus care. Thank you! Lori
    • Ficus Tree
      Posted by Jan from New Mexico , zo on 2005-03-19 06:08:00

I'm interested in receiving the ficus tree care article you referred to in your response to Gail's question.

Thanks,

Jan
      • Ficus Tree
        Posted by Marci Moore from Atlanta 7B on 2012-10-26 05:24:00

My ficus tree has outgrown my home for moving it in and out - this year it grew a foot and is now 8'with a 3-4' span - is there a way to get it through the winter in my pergola between the house and garage? it is covered but two ends are open...I have had this tree for 15 years and my little retirement cottage is not large enough to support it now...help please...
      • Ficus article
        Posted by Will Creed from NY on 2005-03-19 08:33:00

Hi Jan,

I would be happy to send you my Ficus article, but I need your e-mail address. You can send it to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Will Creed

Insiders' Plant Information

GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —