Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
All apples falling off of tree

All apples falling off of tree
Posted by J. Car from tx 8 or nine on 2002-04-07 22:31:14

Every year my mini apple tree has lost all it's apples. It has plenty of blooms and a lot of apples then before they are all mature they start falling off. Any ideas. J.C.
  • Apple drop
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-04-14 07:52:43

Some fruit drop is normal since the trees more often than not set much more fruit than they can possibly support, but it should not be all of it. Generally, wide fruit drop can be traced back to nutrient supply or moisture or some of both (low soil moisture levels will affect nutrient supply). Since the purpose of the fruit is to supply a food source for the seeds if the tree senses that the seeds are not going to be viable it will stop feeding that developing fruit (no sense wasting energy and resources on something that is not going to propagate the species) and that fruit will drop.
  • Apples droping
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-12 15:07:56

Quoting J. Car: ------------
    -Every year my mini apple tree has lost all it's apples. It has plenty of blooms and a lot of apples then before they are all mature they start falling off. Any ideas. J.C.

I don't know what the problem is but I know a place where you can probably get your answer. It's a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about any topic you can think of. Try the 'Fruit and Orchards' forum.
    Here is a link to the main forums page.
    If you can, tell them how old the tree is and if you ever were able to get fruit before this started happening. Also, if it's a young tree, have you ever been able to get a harvest?

Good luck,
    Newt

The Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —