Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
sour blackberries

sour blackberries
Posted by margaret (mmu5@bellatlantic.net) from new jersey on 2002-04-07 19:02:43

I have at thornless blackberry bush in my yard but the berries are completely void of any sugar!!! Is there something I can do to sweeten them up. Are they lacking something in the soil or is it a lost cause?
  • sour blackberries
    Posted by Diane Miessler from california zone on 2009-08-30 03:44:00

Hi - I have the same problem; planted a thornless blackberry and was delighted at how vigorous (and non-thorny it was), but waited for the berries to seem ripe (came off easily, large) and they are sour. Sigh. Let me know if you find anything on this; I'll do the same.
  • Sour blackberries
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-12 15:16:52

Quoting margaret: ------------
    -I have at thornless blackberry bush in my yard but the berries are completely void of any sugar!!! Is there something I can do to sweeten them up. Are they lacking something in the soil or is it a lost cause?

I don't know the answer to your question, but there is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about any topic you can think of. Try the 'Fruit and Orchards' forum. I am enclosing the link to their main forums page.

Good luck,
    Newt

The Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —