Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
leggy gypsophillia

leggy gypsophillia
Posted by Jana (janaripp@elroynet.com) from WI zone 4 on 2002-04-07 15:40:31

I have started gypsophillia seeds under a grow light, about 5 inches away. The plants are growing quite well and leafing out, except the original stem seems to be withering. And when it's gone the rest of the plant will die. What did I do wrong? Are my seedlings doomed? If you know how to correct my problem, please let me know.
  • Damping off?
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-04-14 08:00:20

That light, unless it is an incandescent, is too far away and is causing you seedlings to try to reach for it which results in legginess. Damping off can more often be traced back to a too damp soil surface so those seedling should only be watered from the bottom.
  • Damping off?
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-12 16:48:44

Quoting Jana: ------------
    -I have started gypsophillia seeds under a grow light, about 5 inches away. The plants are growing quite well and leafing out, except the original stem seems to be withering. And when it's gone the rest of the plant will die. What did I do wrong? Are my seedlings doomed? If you know how to correct my problem, please let me know.

Sounds like damping off which is a fungus. If this is it, do make sure the pots where you start your seedlings are sterile before you plant. Dip them in a solution of one part bleach and nine parts water. Here's a site that might help.

Newt

UNM Extension service - Damping off

GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —