Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
pinching back geraniums

pinching back geraniums
Posted by hildie (hklausser@aol.com) from New York 5 on 2002-04-04 18:58:06

I started geraniums from seed. They are doing well, about 8inches tall. Does anyone know if I need to pinch them back to make them grow fuller and stronger?
  • Pinching
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-04-08 08:01:29

Pinching will give you a fuller plant with the potential for many more blossoms. If you don't have enough plants you can also root the cuttings you get for more.
  • pinching back geraniums
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-05 14:08:06

Quoting hildie: ------------
    -I started geraniums from seed. They are doing well, about 8inches tall. Does anyone know if I need to pinch them back to make them grow fuller and stronger?

Are you referring to true geraniums or pelargoniums? True geraniums are hardy and grow outdoors year round and tolerate freezing. Pelargoniums are considered annuals inmost parts of the US and are killed by the frost.

Here is a site that gives info on both.

http://www.geraniaceae.com/pelargoniums.html

If you still can't find the info you need on pinching, I would suggest a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about anything you can think of. You might want to read and post on 'Annuals', 'Perennials' and 'Growing from Seed'. Here is the link to thier forums page.

If you post this question on more than one forum, be sure and change the title a little so that their computer doesn't think you are spamming and shut you out.

Good luck,
    Newt

The Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —