Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Pine Trees & propagation

Pine Trees & propagation
Posted by LauraO from CA/9 on 2002-04-03 18:19:53

About 30 years ago, my parents got a deal on 100 1gal pines. They lined the whole property with them, and they were growing quite tall, screening the view from the road (a good thing). Unfortunately, all the trees were killed due to a beetle from mexico. All but one. I am wondering if anyone thinks it is possible to graft or propagate from this tree, since for some reason the beetles skipped it, possibly due to a genetic variation which made the tree undesirable to the beetles. ? Can you propagate a pine tree from a cutting? I don't think any of the trees self seeded, since we never had any more trees than were originally planted. Any ideas?
  • Propagating pines
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-04-05 07:45:58

You can propagate these but it is difficult to walk you through all the steps here. Check your library for books on propagation as there are a number of good ones available.
  • Pine Trees & Propogation
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-04 20:43:16

Quoting LauraO: ------------
    -About 30 years ago, my parents got a deal on 100 1gal pines. They lined the whole property with them, and they were growing quite tall, screening the view from the road (a good thing). Unfortunately, all the trees were killed due to a beetle from mexico. All but one. I am wondering if anyone thinks it is possible to graft or propagate from this tree, since for some reason the beetles skipped it, possibly due to a genetic variation which made the tree undesirable to the beetles. ? Can you propagate a pine tree from a cutting? I don't think any of the trees self seeded, since we never had any more trees than were originally planted. Any ideas?

I don't have your answer, but I suggest you post this at The Garden Web. It's a WONDERFUL site with lots of knowledgable people. They have a forum on 'Trees' and one on 'Plant Propagation'. Here is a link to their main forums page.

If you post this question on more than one forum, be sure and change the title so that their computer doesn't think you are spamming and block you.

Good luck, I hope you can do it.
    Newt

The Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —