Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
When do I plant tomatoes in Seattle?

When do I plant tomatoes in Seattle?
Posted by Stephanie from Washington on 2002-04-03 17:53:56

I live in Seattle, WA. Does anyone know the best time to plant heirloom tomatoes in Seattle? Also, the soil in our garden is very mossy, especially in the more shaded area; any ideas on how to get rid of this problem?
  • Tomatoes in Seattle
    Posted by David H from Wa on 2002-04-14 14:46:10

Stephanie, WAIT, with the weather that we have been having it is still to cold to put tomatoes in unprotected. Wait at least another 2 weeks, or put them out under hot caps, or some other protection

Quoting Stephanie: ------------
    -I live in Seattle, WA. Does anyone know the best time to plant heirloom tomatoes in Seattle? Also, the soil in our garden is very mossy, especially in the more shaded area; any ideas on how to get rid of this problem?
    • Western WA Gardeners
      Posted by David H from WA on 2002-04-14 15:02:40

Here is a link for further information
      http://gardening.wsu.edu/

Quoting David H: ------------
      -Stephanie, WAIT, with the weather that we have been having it is still to cold to put tomatoes in unprotected. Wait at least another 2 weeks, or put them out under hot caps, or some other protection

-Quoting Stephanie: ------------
      -I live in Seattle, WA. Does anyone know the best time to plant heirloom tomatoes in Seattle? Also, the soil in our garden is very mossy, especially in the more shaded area; any ideas on how to get rid of this problem?
  • Tomatoes
    Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-04-08 17:22:45

Quoting Stephanie: ------------

Although i live in NY, I think we have about the same climate and zone. Memorial Day weekend is when most people put them out here. I would say then or maby little before for Seattle. You have to make sure the threat of frost is gone.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —