Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
weeds

weeds
Posted by bonnie King from oregon on 2002-04-02 08:00:00

my back fence is against a unused alley that was blocked off years ago and you can not get too except over a 6 ft fence and i want to put i a flower bed but the number of weeds that come under the fence is terrible and they are all invasive wild morning glory burmuta grass and a dozen more that I don't know the name to any ideas on how to manage the problem
  • Weeds
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-03 03:35:30

Quoting bonnie King: ------------
    -my back fence is against a unused alley that was blocked off years ago and you can not get too except over a 6 ft fence and i want to put i a flower bed but the number of weeds that come under the fence is terrible and they are all invasive wild morning glory burmuta grass and a dozen more that I don't know the name to any ideas on how to manage the problem

You don't say what type of fence you have. If it's a wooden fence and the slats are fairly close together, I would suggest some type of barrier. You might want to sink some type of heavy duty edging (there's black plastic) into the ground at the fence line. If you add compost to the site and dig it in, will it raise the level enough so that there isn't any space under the fence for seeds to blow in once the edging is in? Places to look for the edging would be something like Home Depot, Lowes or even a garden center. Since you are in Oregon, I am guessing that you don't get a lot of heavy freezing that would cause the edging to heave out of the ground.

A visit to a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web might be helpful. They have forums on just about any topic you can think of. You might want to try 'Greenhouses & Garden Structures', 'Landscape Design' and 'Tips & Techniques'. There is even one for Regions on the left. That will take you to 'Northwest Gardening'.

Just make sure if you post on more than one forum that you change the title so that their computer doesn't think you are spamming and try and block you. It's a great place. Here's the link.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

• weeds
      Posted by bonnie King from oregon on 2002-04-03 13:18:45

Quoting Newt: ------------THANKS THAT IS A LOT OF HELP
      -Good luck,
      -Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —