Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
flower baaskets

flower baaskets
Posted by Edna (EdnaM7@aol.com) from Ohio on 2002-03-31 14:37:24

I have two baskets of green plants(mixture) from a funeral. They mean a lot to me and I want to know how to care for them. Do I divide them or put in a larger pot? Please help. I don't want to lose them.I have had some experience with house plants but I currently don't have any but these. I guess I am scared of losing these. These baskets are app. 8"' in diameter. Thanks very much.
  • basket gardens
    Posted by Will Creed from NY on 2002-03-31 18:58:07

I know these plants are important to you because of their association with someone special to you. However, it is never a good idea to put undue pressure on yourself to make a plant thrive. Plants are perishable and even the most experienced green thumbs lose plants from time-to-time. Do your best.

These baskets often have plants with different light or water requirements. Putting them into separate pots is okay if you are experienced with plants and know the identities of each plant. Otherwise it is best to leave them potted together. Place the basket in a bright location with little direct sunlight; a north or east windowsill. Allow the surface of the soil to feel dry to the touch before adding enough water to saturate the soil; probably about one cup. This may be a little too much or too little light and water for one or two of the plants and they may deteriorate. However, it should be about right for most of the plants. Do your best to keep the latter plants going.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will Creed, Horticulturist
    Horticultural Help, NYC
    Email: wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

P.S. You may be interested in my website at www.HorticulturalHelp.com and my Indoor Plant Bulletins that I publish monthly.

Quoting Edna: ------------
    -I have two baskets of green plants(mixture) from a funeral. They mean a lot to me and I want to know how to care for them. Do I divide them or put in a larger pot? Please help. I don't want to lose them.I have had some experience with house plants but I currently don't have any but these. I guess I am scared of losing these. These baskets are app. 8"' in diameter. Thanks very much.

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —