Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Looking for a seed swap

Looking for a seed swap
Posted by Ber from VT on 2002-03-27 11:48:52

Hello everyone,

We got a call this week from a gardener seeking a seed swap that doesn't require owning a computer. Does anyone know of magazines, or groups that offer a print publication that offers a swap that she could participate in?

Thanks for your help!

Ber
  • Seed exchange
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-04 19:49:12

Quoting Ber: ------------
    -Hello everyone,

-We got a call this week from a gardener seeking a seed swap that doesn't require owning a computer. Does anyone know of magazines, or groups that offer a print publication that offers a swap that she could participate in?

-Thanks for your help!

-Ber

Many gardening magazines have seed exchanges listed in the back of the magazine. Organic Gardening is one I can think of. There's an organization called Seed Savers Exchange that publishes a catalog. They are at 3076 North Winn Road, Decorah, Iowa 52101 Phone: 563-382-5872 for a free catalog.

Since you have a computer you might want to go to their web site and take a look around.

Newt

Seed Savers Exchange

• seed exchange
      Posted by Janet from VA on 2007-06-10 04:36:00

I was just wondering if there is a seed exchange whereas just gardners themselves can exchange seeds without going through a catalog. I think it would be great if we could just exchange among ourselves. Let me hear from anybody who is interested.
      Also, does anyone know of any gardening crafts that I could do.
    • Thanks and an FYI
      Posted by Ber (barbarar@garden.com) from VT on 2002-04-10 11:09:47

Quoting Newt: ------------

-Many gardening magazines have seed exchanges listed in the back of the magazine. Organic Gardening is one I can think of. There's an organization called Seed Savers Exchange that publishes a catalog. They are at 3076 North Winn Road, Decorah, Iowa 52101 Phone: 563-382-5872 for a free catalog.

-Newt

Hi Newt,

Thanks for the lead to SSE -- I'll send some info to our seed swap seeker.

Just an FYI -- I checked the most recent issues of Organic Gardening for a Seed Swap and they don't run them anymore. I think, like the now defunct National Gardening Magazine, they opted to phase out the swap and devote the expensive magazine pages to stories and advertising...a sign of the times, unfortunately. I just donated a lot of my OG mags from the mid-90s to the library, and they still had the swap then.

--thanks again! Ber
      • Seed swap - another place to try
        Posted by Newt from Maryand zone 7 on 2002-04-12 16:56:59

Quoting Ber: ------------
        -Quoting Newt: ------------

-Many gardening magazines have seed exchanges listed in the back of the magazine. Organic Gardening is one I can think of. There's an organization called Seed Savers Exchange that publishes a catalog. They are at 3076 North Winn Road, Decorah, Iowa 52101 Phone: 563-382-5872 for a free catalog.

-Newt

-Hi Newt,

-Thanks for the lead to SSE -- I'll send some info to our seed swap seeker.

-Just an FYI -- I checked the most recent issues of Organic Gardening for a Seed Swap and they don't run them anymore. I think, like the now defunct National Gardening Magazine, they opted to phase out the swap and devote the expensive magazine pages to stories and advertising...a sign of the times, unfortunately. I just donated a lot of my OG mags from the mid-90s to the library, and they still had the swap then.

--thanks again! Ber

I didn't know that! Thanks so much. I have heard that since Mike left OG that it just isn't the same. I also just thought of 'Mother Earth News'.

Another place you could post this is a
        WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have a 'Seed Exchange' and they might be able to give you ideas. Here's their main forums page.

Newt

The Garden Web Forums

• FYI: Seed Swap at
          Posted by David H from WA on 2002-04-14 17:18:08

www.organicgardening.com

Quoting Newt: ------------
          -Quoting Ber: ------------
          -Quoting Newt: ------------

-Newt

-Hi Newt,

-Thanks for the lead to SSE -- I'll send some info to our seed swap seeker.

-Just an FYI -- I checked the most recent issues of Organic Gardening for a Seed Swap and they don't run them anymore. I think, like the now defunct National Gardening Magazine, they opted to phase out the swap and devote the expensive magazine pages to stories and advertising...a sign of the times, unfortunately. I just donated a lot of my OG mags from the mid-90s to the library, and they still had the swap then.

--thanks again! Ber

-I didn't know that! Thanks so much. I have heard that since Mike left OG that it just isn't the same. I also just thought of 'Mother Earth News'.

-Another place you could post this is a
          -WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have a 'Seed Exchange' and they might be able to give you ideas. Here's their main forums page.

-Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —