Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
screened-in-deck/pool, areas

screened-in-deck/pool, areas
Posted by catherine pansey (cpansey@eims.com) from florida on 2002-03-27 05:47:34

Hi, I am in the process of building a house in Florida, and I am considering installing a screen around my pool. My question, would my potted plants and flowers get enough pollination with the screen protecting them from bees and other pollinating insects? Or is the pollen (or whatever) air bourne and able to go thru the screen without the bee? Thank you, Cathy
  • screened in deck/pool
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-04 19:52:11

Quoting catherine pansey: ------------
    -Hi, I am in the process of building a house in Florida, and I am considering installing a screen around my pool. My question, would my potted plants and flowers get enough pollination with the screen protecting them from bees and other pollinating insects? Or is the pollen (or whatever) air bourne and able to go thru the screen without the bee? Thank you, Cathy

Most plants are pollinated by insects and birds. For the moment, the only plant that I can think of that is pollinated by the wind would be corn. If you want seeds, you will probably have to hand pollinate.

Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —