Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
CATS POO!

CATS POO!
Posted by Amanda Tosh (3toshs@tiscali.co.uk) from London on 2002-03-25 03:52:16

please can anyone help me? We have a huge cat problem. I filled a bucket with their 'poo' yesterday, have put pepper down, but they just keep coming! Any ideas please. My poor little boy can't play in the garden without us checking everywhere first! not good.

Amanda

• cat poo
    Posted by gail winston from georgia on 2002-04-29 15:11:55

Quoting Amanda Tosh: ------------
    -please can anyone help me? We have a huge cat problem. I filled a bucket with their 'poo' yesterday, have put pepper down, but they just keep coming! Any ideas please. My poor little boy can't play in the garden without us checking everywhere first! not good.
    • cat poo
      Posted by gail from atlanta on 2002-04-29 15:15:40

Quoting gail winston: ------------
      -Quoting Amanda Tosh: ------------
      -please can anyone help me? We have a huge cat problem. I filled a bucket with their 'poo' yesterday, have put pepper down, but they just keep coming! Any ideas please. My poor little boy can't play in the garden without us checking everywhere first! not good.

Thank you for the great ideas! Last weekend we finally finished getting vegetable plants in the ground and the mulch spread, only to watch both our cats immediately claim the garden as their litter box. Will get chicken wire today!
      • harmless cat repelent
        Posted by Niki from Boston zone5 on 2002-06-15 12:00:14

Quoting gail: ------------
        -Quoting gail winston: ------------
        -Quoting Amanda Tosh: ------------

-Thank you for the great ideas! Last weekend we finally finished getting vegetable plants in the ground and the mulch spread, only to watch both our cats immediately claim the garden as their litter box. Will get chicken wire today!

Hi Amanda,
        I couldn't read the "post" Gail sent you.
        But, here are some of my solutions to cats using my garden as a litter box.
        #1. keep a squirt bottle of water handy
        and spray it on the cat everytime you see it in your garden. The water is harmless to the cat,but cat's hate water.
        #2. put down the smell of citrus.(Orange, lemmon,etc.,any fruit that is acid)
        We love the smell but cats hate it.
        I'm not talking about the rind. Just the
        smell.Again, this is harmless to cats.
        If you have a small garden, place some deer netting (supported by steaks) around it. The cat won't bother to climb over it. Just leave the netting up until the plants are firmly establised.
        Niki
  • Cats Poo!
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-03 04:01:58

Quoting Amanda Tosh: ------------

Usually the cats like the blank spaces to use as a litter box. Planting close together or using ground covers helps. Other things that work are things like chicken wire laid on the surface of the ground, pine cones or gum tree balls as a mulch. There are sprays that you can buy to repel them that aren't unpleasant to humans, but they must be applied daily.

Then there is live trapping and off to the humane society with them.

Good luck,
    Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —