Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Cilli peppers

Cilli peppers
Posted by Brad from Alberta, zone 3 on 2002-03-24 13:38:03

Helllo everyone, I am a gardening newbie (I know plants grow in dirt and need water) so please bear with me. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on growing peppers. I have a small plant that is supposed to produce small hot peppers but I don't know the variety. It is growing in a terracotta pot and seems to be OK but will not bear any peppers. What I am wondering is:

-can peppers be grown inside?
-what kind of pot is best?
-any other relevant info?

Thanks in advance
Brad
  • Peppers
    Posted by Charley from Guam on 2002-04-26 01:20:32

Brad, I love raising peppers, I raise them a lot. Your pepper is a very sun loving plant, at least all I have ever raised do. As far as the pots, I raise many of mine in a pot becasue the soil I have is very poor, but it isnot so much the type of pot but the size to acomadate the roots. I find 5 gal. pails work great, but they are not very good looking, LOL. Anyhow E-mail me if you need more info.
  • Peppers
    Posted by Happy Gardener from Virginia on 2002-04-05 12:24:52

Quoting Brad: ------------
    -Helllo everyone, I am a gardening newbie (I know plants grow in dirt and need water) so please bear with me. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on growing peppers. I have a small plant that is supposed to produce small hot peppers but I don't know the variety. It is growing in a terracotta pot and seems to be OK but will not bear any peppers. What I am wondering is:

-Thanks in advance
    -Brad

Brad,

I am a new gardener too, but I am wondering if your pepper plant is an ornamental pepper plant? I've seen some in my area. The plants I've seen have usually been sold with small peppers usually either orange or yellow.
    I'm wondering if the reason your plant isn't producing is because maybe it is root bound in the pot, or maybe it needs some kind of fertilizer? I've had that happen with other plants I've got.

I've known people who've grown pepper plants and in case you didn't know you should wear gloves when your plant blooms and you harvest the peppers. I've heard of bad experiences where people haven't put on gloves and then they've come inside to use the restroom. I'm sure you can finish the
    story.

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery. Good luck.
    • Thanks
      Posted by Brad from Calgary on 2002-04-07 14:23:43

Quoting Happy Gardener: ------------
      -Quoting Brad: ------------
      -Helllo everyone, I am a gardening newbie (I know plants grow in dirt and need water) so please bear with me. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on growing peppers. I have a small plant that is supposed to produce small hot peppers but I don't know the variety. It is growing in a terracotta pot and seems to be OK but will not bear any peppers. What I am wondering is:

-Thanks in advance
      -Brad

-Brad,

-I am a new gardener too, but I am wondering if your pepper plant is an ornamental pepper plant? I've seen some in my area. The plants I've seen have usually been sold with small peppers usually either orange or yellow.
      -I'm wondering if the reason your plant isn't producing is because maybe it is root bound in the pot, or maybe it needs some kind of fertilizer? I've had that happen with other plants I've got.

-I've known people who've grown pepper plants and in case you didn't know you should wear gloves when your plant blooms and you harvest the peppers. I've heard of bad experiences where people haven't put on gloves and then they've come inside to use the restroom. I'm sure you can finish the
      -story.

-Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery. Good luck.

Thanks for the sugestions, I'll look into my situation closer and post anything I find out.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —