Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
weeds

weeds
Posted by rina from New York on 2002-03-23 22:27:09

I bought my house 2 years ago, and every spring the weed problem has been getting worse. My first gardner sprayed to no avail. My second gardner pulled up all my grass (and weeds) and I had a dirt backyard all summer. Now that spring is here I have weeds again everywhere and it is even spreading to my neighbors yard. I don't know what to do to get rid of these weeds. Any suggestions?

weeds

• Weeds?
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-25 08:35:12

What is a "weed". A plant growing someplace we don't want it to grow. What "weeds" do you have. Many of the annuals will always be present since the seeds from those drift in on the wind or come from the birds flying arounf the yard and battling them is an every day prospect (almost).
    What are you trying to grow and what are the environmental conditions where you want to grow this?
  • weeds
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 04:58:30

Quoting rina: ------------
    -I bought my house 2 years ago, and every spring the weed problem has been getting worse. My first gardner sprayed to no avail. My second gardner pulled up all my grass (and weeds) and I had a dirt backyard all summer. Now that spring is here I have weeds again everywhere and it is even spreading to my neighbors yard. I don't know what to do to get rid of these weeds. Any suggestions?

I think you need to have your soil tested to see what nutrients are missing. All the weeds need to be eradicated and any needed nutrients and compost should be added. If the entire lawn is basically weeds, it sounds to me like you need to completely reseed the lawn. You'll also have to keep a new lawn watered until it is well established and pamper it a bit the first year. If your last gardener pulled up most of the grass, then the weeds would surely invade. Mother nature doesn't like blank spaces, so she fills them up with whatever she can.

There is a wonderful site called The Garden Web with lots of knowledgable people. They have forums on just about anything you can think of. Here is the link to their main forums page. Look up 'Lawn Care' and do some reading there and post if you need more help. They can help you reestablish your lawn.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —