Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Gardenias

Gardenias
Posted by Renee (birdchoochoo@aol,com) from Texas on 2002-03-23 11:44:38

I live in Southeast Texas. My Gardenia has develop a black film on its leaves. What is this and how do I treat it?
  • Gardenia
    Posted by caryn rosen (rosen434@bellsouth.net) from Florida,33436 on 2002-05-25 23:42:45

Quoting Renee: ------------
    -I live in Southeast Texas. My Gardenia has develop a black film on its leaves. What is this and how do I treat it?

Dear Renee:
    I live in Florida and my Gardenia developed a black area on its leaves and I found out it was black sooty mold caused by secretions of aphids. Treat the aphids which are sucking insects with Isotox if it is allowed in your area (a systemic insecticide). The sooty mold can be removed with regular rubbing alcohol which will not harm the plants leaves. Read precautions for Isotox and follows instructions, wear gloves and also do not spray when it is windy or in excessive heat. Late in the day is best. Let me know how it works out.
  • Gardenia
    Posted by caryn rosen (rosen434@bellsouth.net) from Florida,33436 on 2002-05-25 23:42:44

Quoting Renee: ------------
    -I live in Southeast Texas. My Gardenia has develop a black film on its leaves. What is this and how do I treat it?

Dear Renee:
    I live in Florida and my Gardenia developed a black area on its leaves and I found out it was black sooty mold caused by secretions of aphids. Treat the aphids which are sucking insects with Isotox if it is allowed in your area (a systemic insecticide). The sooty mold can be removed with regular rubbing alcohol which will not harm the plants leaves. Read precautions for Isotox and follows instructions, wear gloves and also do not spray when it is windy or in excessive heat. Late in the day is best. Let me know how it works out.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —