Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
sick lawn

sick lawn
Posted by Nancy (VickersN@aol.com) from N C 7 on 2002-03-23 01:42:14

I have a lawn that was planted one year ago, with "Little Rebel" seed. It was beautiful last spring, then went down hill (it had spots of spinley yellow grass)as the summer got hotter, even though I watered and watered. I over seeded the lawn in the early fall and it became a nice green lawn with full blades of grass. But now it looks so bad! The grass is not growing, there are big yellow patches of grass where the blades are very thin and yellow green. A ph test says the soil is about 8.0. What do I do?

Thanks, Nancy
  • Lawn problems
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-25 08:23:23

It is kind of normal for grasses, even the warm season grasses you should be growing, to try to go dormant in the heat of summer and the cold of winter. The best time for grasses to grow are spring and fall, usually the right temperatures and moisture levels.
    In the spring grasses are going to grow and try to produce pollen and seeds to propagate the species (even the cultivars that only grow vegetatively will do this, genes) and are not to interested in the fake "food" we usually put down. The two things that grasses really need in spring are ample moisture and enough grass blade exposed to the sun to manufacture enough food to support growth so mowing high and often is more better than infrequent mowing and lopping off too much of the blade. How high depends on your particular species but most can be kept at a 3 to 4 inch height. As the weather heats up moisture applied often will help keep the soil temperatures in the range the grass likes and it will tend to grow better.
    What your soil is also determines how well grass will grow and grasses being perennials like the same soil types that anyother flower does so what ever you do to the soil to make it better, adding compost and other organic matter, will also help.
  • Sick Lawn
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 00:42:52

Quoting Nancy: ------------
    -I have a lawn that was planted one year ago, with "Little Rebel" seed. It was beautiful last spring, then went down hill (it had spots of spinley yellow grass)as the summer got hotter, even though I watered and watered. I over seeded the lawn in the early fall and it became a nice green lawn with full blades of grass. But now it looks so bad! The grass is not growing, there are big yellow patches of grass where the blades are very thin and yellow green. A ph test says the soil is about 8.0. What do I do?

-Thanks, Nancy

It seems to me that the ph of your soil is too high. I would suggest you take a look at the WONDERFUL site The Garden Web. They have forums on just about any topic you could think of. Their 'Lawns' forum people might have the answer for you.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

• ph too high
      Posted by hojo from nc7 on 2002-03-31 07:20:27

Quoting Newt: ------------
      -Quoting Nancy: ------------
      -I have a lawn that was planted one year ago, with "Little Rebel" seed. It was beautiful last spring, then went down hill (it had spots of spinley yellow grass)as the summer got hotter, even though I watered and watered. I over seeded the lawn in the early fall and it became a nice green lawn with full blades of grass. But now it looks so bad! The grass is not growing, there are big yellow patches of grass where the blades are very thin and yellow green. A ph test says the soil is about 8.0. What do I do?

-Thanks, Nancy

-It seems to me that the ph of your soil is too high. I would suggest you take a look at the WONDERFUL site The Garden Web. They have forums on just about any topic you could think of. Their 'Lawns' forum people might have the answer for you.

-Good luck,
      -Newt
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —