Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
hornets!

hornets!
Posted by Kris Moore from slc ,UT on 2002-03-21 16:56:25

Our back yard is rather long and narrow. three years ago we bought a gorgeous, tall, wooden fence that encircles the whole yard. The problem is..it seems to be attracting hornets! they build their MANY hidden nests in between the slats! As a result, my 3 children dont like playing in the backyard by about mid-summer, because they have all had at least one painful sting by that time each year. I really want to plant some trees this year to provide shade....are there any flowers or trees that bees avoid??? Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of the hornets other than traps, or over the counter sprays? Thanks!! Kris

HELP! HORNETS!

• Maybe this is an idea.
    Posted by Shelley (spetkovsek@huntsville-isd.org) from TX on 2002-04-09 16:32:04

I have always heard that Marigolds help prevent unwanted insects because of a smell they produce. As far as trees go, choose one that does not have a flowerly bud...Magnolia's and fruit trees will attract all sorts of bees.

You may try a hardware store for some kind of insect repellent that you could use on the fence. Spraying in the evening usually prevents swarming.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —