Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
slugs

slugs
Posted by Maureen Rice (mgr@iserv.net) from MI on 2002-03-21 15:28:40

My garden soil has a lot of clay, which I have been improving with composting. The slugs continue to be a big problem...I have seen some as large as 6 inches...Yuk. The only thing I have had success with is Bug Getta...any other suggestions?
  • ugh, slugs!
    Posted by Niki from Boston zone5 on 2002-06-15 12:23:32

Quoting Maureen Rice: ------------
    -My garden soil has a lot of clay, which I have been improving with composting. The slugs continue to be a big problem...I have seen some as large as 6 inches...Yuk. The only thing I have had success with is Bug Getta...any other suggestions?

Hi Maureen,
    Ortho slug and snail bait is the best product you can use. Remember to replenish it every two weeks.
    You can try putting out small saucers of
    beer. (I've heard they love beer.They
    climb in, drink and drown)
    I have friends who swear by this, but when I tried this, my slugs simply drunk some beer then slitherd out. You may have
    better luck.
    Another thing you can do is check under pots, rock, hosta leaves...anyplace thats
    dark and cool during the day. Then squish the "little suckers" with your foot.

Don't forget to check around your compost
    bin and under all the leaves of plants that attract them. (Hosta and foxglove are at the top of the list).
    Niki
  • Slugs
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-03 04:18:41

Quoting Maureen Rice: ------------
    -My garden soil has a lot of clay, which I have been improving with composting. The slugs continue to be a big problem...I have seen some as large as 6 inches...Yuk. The only thing I have had success with is Bug Getta...any other suggestions?

Well, there are several things you can try. Beer (yup, the stuff you drink)in plastic containers sunken into the ground work well. I find that the plastic containers that you get from the deli department for things like potato salad work well. Maragarine tubs do too. Any cheap beer will work. You will need fresh beer about every 2 days if it doesn't rain as you'll find a lot of dead bodies in the beer. If it rains, change the next day. The slugs will crawl into the beer and drown.

I have also used a flashlight (the snake light works great around your neck) and a spray bottle with a mixture of one part ammonia and 10 parts water works too. I usually go 'slugging' after 9 or 10 pm when they come out for picnics. Don't do as I did and spray the plants or you'll discover burned and dead plants in the morning. A good aim is required for this technique. :-)

Grapefruit and orange rinds put upside down in the garden will usually have several slugs munching away in the morning. Be there as early as you can to gather and dispose of the rinds.

Damp newspapers will also attract them as a place to hide during the day.

I actually had some toads move into my yard by not using any poisons which include the bait you are using and the following stuff I talk about here. They love to eat slugs and took care of the problem in one summer.

There is another product called diatomaceous earth. Again, don't use this if you think you can attract toads or frogs. Most garden supply centers and some places like Home Depot sell it in bags. Don't breathe it in and wear a dust mask. It feels like a powder to your hands but is actually a ground rock that cuts up their little bodies. Here's a site that explains what it is.

Happy hunting,
    Newt

Diatomaceous Earth - a non toxic pesticide

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —