Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Drowning

Drowning
Posted by Lilli_white_lies from La/ zone 8 on 2002-03-21 11:30:06

I have had some land for a while that does has grass. Just not dense. We just moved a double wide mobile home on it. I planted Rye grass for the winter.
I am really having a drainage problem. I am not sure what to do. Do I have someone come out and see about raising my yard. ( meaning dirt and new grass)
I have St. Augustine grass. And my 2 dogs aren't helping matters any.
Any response would be greatly apprectiated.
Just learning.
Lilli
  • Drowning
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 00:18:37

Quoting Lilli_white_lies: ------------
    -I have had some land for a while that does has grass. Just not dense. We just moved a double wide mobile home on it. I planted Rye grass for the winter.
    I am really having a drainage problem. I am not sure what to do. Do I have someone come out and see about raising my yard. ( meaning dirt and new grass)
    I have St. Augustine grass. And my 2 dogs aren't helping matters any.
    -Any response would be greatly apprectiated.
    -Just learning.
    -Lilli

You've gotten some good advice from Kimm, but you might also be able to have the yard graded to facilitate better run off instead of trying to raise the level. It is also my understanding that it is illegal for someone to regrade their property so that their water run off floods your land.

There is a WONDERFUL site called the Garden Web that has forums on just about anything you could think of. I would suggest that you post your question on the 'Landscaping' forum, maybe asking who you could get to determine why the property is so soggy. They also have a forum for 'Lawns' that might be helpful. There is an excellent one on 'Soil, Compost & Mulch'.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

• Drainage problem
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-23 07:48:27

What is the cause of the drainage problem?
    A high water table that during a time of ample water (usually spring) has the ground water near the surface, or in other words you now live in a swamp?
    Water flowing from your neighbors property to yours because they changed the normal grade?
    Sub soil that has developed a hard pan so water falling from the sky (rain) won't drain away through the soil?
    I have some friends that live in an area the Soil Conservation Service maps show to be a periodic swamp, during times of high water that area will have standing surface water. The developer of the subdivision stated that as long as he knew there was no surface water there, but after a couple of years of above normal rain and snow that area reverted. One solution proposed was raising the ground level with fill, very expensive and didn't work. The real solution was to construct drains that artifically keeps the ground water level lower than it would be normally, also very expensive but the cost was shared by every one affected.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —