Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Lawn

Lawn
Posted by anita wagner from New Jersey on 2002-03-20 20:36:33

My lawn is very patchy; looks mostly like weeds growing except for a section that has that hay looking grass in the winter(I believe it is called Zoysia; forgive the spelling). How can I make my lawn look thicker with actualy blades of grass? Thanks
  • Lawn
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 00:56:27

Quoting anita wagner: ------------
    -My lawn is very patchy; looks mostly like weeds growing except for a section that has that hay looking grass in the winter(I believe it is called Zoysia; forgive the spelling). How can I make my lawn look thicker with actualy blades of grass? Thanks

You've gotten some good advice from Kimm. I would like to add that Zoysia grass goes brown in the winter. The only thing I can think of to remedy that is to remove it and plant something else.

There is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have a forum for 'Lawn Care' that might be able to help you.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forum

• Lawn
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-22 07:52:30

The simplest way is to mow high so there are more leaves exposed to the sun so they can manufacture more food for the roots so they grow more and produce more crowns to fill in the bare areas. Grasses grow from the crowns so the more protection the crowns have from the sun and drying wind, the high leaves, to better they will do. Those high leaves will also shade the soil so the "weed" seeds don't get the sunlight they usually need to germinate. But getting enough moisture into the soil will also help.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —