Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
container gardening in the city

container gardening in the city
Posted by d cook (dcookcoach@msn.com) from Maryland 7a on 2002-03-17 19:09:56

I recently moved from the PA mountains to Baltimore City and want to container landscape my approx 30' square all-cemented back yard. I already have some large and small terra cotta containers and a large wooden container I planted with an ornamental grass. I also have a 3' black japanese lantern and a 3'diameter black water garden bowl with a vertical lava rock I drilled for a water fountain.

I want to build a lovely little garden but need some help with ideas to blend the japanese items without having to stay within the sparse look of a japanese garden.

Any help?

citymama
  • Container gardening in the city
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 02:12:56

Quoting d cook: ------------
    -I recently moved from the PA mountains to Baltimore City and want to container landscape my approx 30' square all-cemented back yard. I already have some large and small terra cotta containers and a large wooden container I planted with an ornamental grass. I also have a 3' black japanese lantern and a 3'diameter black water garden bowl with a vertical lava rock I drilled for a water fountain.

-I want to build a lovely little garden but need some help with ideas to blend the japanese items without having to stay within the sparse look of a japanese garden.

-Any help?

-citymama

Hi Citymama,

I'm not much into container gardening, but my back yard is also 'postage stamp' sized. There is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about everything you could think of. I'm including a link to their forums. You might want to read and post on 'Container Gardening', 'Landscape Design' and 'Mid-Atlantic Gardening'. There are also topics called 'Garden Junk', 'Garden Accoutrements' and another for 'Garden and Flower Crafts' where you might read and/or post for ideas.

Have fun,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —