Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Sealing a stone

Sealing a stone
Posted by Doug Thornhill (d_thornhill@worldnet.att.net) from MI on 2002-03-17 16:27:13

Good day,
I have a question and don’t know where to look or even how to look for it so I hope you can help me. I started a butterfly garden last summer and one of the things I read that would good for the garden is putting a puddling stone. Well at a gardening store late last summer I came across a “Geode” stone. It looks like a dinosaur egg that had been cut in half with a sharp hammer. It is smooth on the outside and with crystals on the inside. Here is my problem. One half is fine and holds the water just fine but the other one leaks and within an hour is dry. I was hoping you could be able to tell me how I could seal it so that what I used would not hurt the butterflies.

Thank you for your time,
Doug T
  • Sealing Stone
    Posted by Daryl from Ga/zone 7 on 2002-04-01 15:18:37

Quoting Doug Thornhill: ------------
    --I have a question and don’t know where to look or even how to look for it so I hope you can help me. I started a butterfly garden last summer and one of the things I read that would good for the garden is putting a puddling stone. Well at a gardening store late last summer I came across a “Geode” stone. .... One half is fine and holds the water just fine but the other one leaks and within an hour is dry. I was hoping you could be able to tell me how I could seal it so that what I used would not hurt the butterflies.

Doug,

I was hoping someone might pop in here with a suggestion, but since there hasn't been,and I've been pondering, you might be interested to know that a puddling stone as used by butterflies is usually porous, not hard like a geode, so you might want to just get a piece of flat rock and set it in a saucer of water, or just use a saucer filled with sand kept just moist. Then you could use your geode for decoration. This will also help keep the beautiful colors of your geode from getting coated with algae, or worse, minerals that evaporate from the water.
    Hope this helps.

Daryl
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —