Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Companion plants for blueberries

Companion plants for blueberries
Posted by Anne from GA 7a on 2002-03-17 10:50:23

Hello, I have just planted two blueberry bushes in two raised boxes 3'x6'x12"D. I would like to plant either flowers or veg with them, but have read that blueberries are fussy about their roots. Are there plants that I could put in the boxes? Thanks.
  • blueberries
    Posted by Gwen from Mi/5 on 2002-03-18 12:47:24

Quoting Anne: ------------
    -Hello, I have just planted two blueberry bushes in two raised boxes 3'x6'x12"D. I would like to plant either flowers or veg with them, but have read that blueberries are fussy about their roots. Are there plants that I could put in the boxes? Thanks.

-I know blueberries have very shallow roots and its not good to dig around them. Even weeding around them should be done by hand and not with tools that dig deep.I know I've not been too helpful but the only suggestion I would make is to use seeds that grow well by broadcasting (or scattering over the surface).Nothing tall maybe a groundgover?
    • Blueberry Comp. Plants
      Posted by Anne from GA 7 on 2002-03-18 15:33:33

Quoting Gwen: ------------
      -...the only suggestion I would make is to use seeds that grow well by broadcasting (or scattering over the surface).Nothing tall maybe a groundgover?

-Thanks, Gwen. RE groundcover: I have mulched, so I was thinking of basil or marigolds, to attract pollinators and deter some pests. Evidently I have more digging to do!
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —