Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Clay soil

Clay soil
Posted by Liliana Mejia from CA on 2002-03-17 00:27:05

The soil in this area is extremely dense and clay-like. I have already spent hundreds of dollars trying to repair the problem. There is a huge Walnut tree that shades the yard,to boot. I am a renter so I do not want to spend more money on working with the soil. Are there any Plants I can use that grow in shady, clay ground? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Any seed are great too!
  • Shade, Clay and Walnuts
    Posted by Daryl from Ga./Zon 7 on 2002-03-22 17:24:37

Quoting Liliana Mejia: ------------
    -The soil in this area is extremely dense and clay-like. I have already spent hundreds of dollars trying to repair the problem. There is a huge Walnut tree that shades the yard,to boot. I am a renter so I do not want to spend more money on working with the soil. Are there any Plants I can use that grow in shady, clay ground?

From the National Gardening archives, ". There are many shade plants that would grow under black walnuts. I'll list a few such as ajuga, wild ginger, sweet woodruff, hosta, sensitive fern, Soloman's seal, bloodroot and wood violets. Plus many bulbs such as daffodils, tulips and Hyacinths"
    Now, your problem is three fold. One is that you have shade, another is the toxicity of the Walnut itself, and the third is the soil.
    You can probably get the wood violets and the ajuga to grow without amending the soil, and also daffodils. You'll need to break up the soil well, and if you want to grow the others, you'll probably need to add organic matter to the beds.
    Another option is to use pots of colorful annuals placed on top of your mulched soil.

Daryl
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —