Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
soil with coal

soil with coal
Posted by Terri Daniel-Chumbley M.D. (chumbley1@charter.net) from ky on 2002-03-15 13:29:47

i have several areas in our yard that apparently were used by the previous owner to pile coal. Only bits of coal are apparent now but nothing includung grass will thrive . What do I need to do to the soil to correct it so that I can have grass or floweres?
  • Soil with coal
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-31 17:01:52

Quoting Terri Daniel-Chumbley M.D.: ------------
    -i have several areas in our yard that apparently were used by the previous owner to pile coal. Only bits of coal are apparent now but nothing includung grass will thrive . What do I need to do to the soil to correct it so that I can have grass or floweres?

I found this to be a very interesting question and did a search on Google for "coal composition". Here is one of the links that I was given. Some important things here to think about as pertains to toxins and heavy metals in the coal that are probably in the soil now.

http://p2.utep.edu/hubs/documents/electric_coalcomposition.htm

I have three recommendations.

First, I would suggest that you contact your local extension service. They might have some recommendations on what to do. I would think that you would have to sift the coal out of the soil, dispose of properly, again getting advice from the extension service. You would still be left with a lot of heavy metals in the soil. I definately would NOT grow any edibles in those areas.

Second, I would post this question on The Garden Web. It's a WONDERFUL site with some very knowledgeable people. I am including a link to their main forums page. I would recommend that you post this on their 'Soil, Compost and Mulch' forum. I am including the link here.

Third, I would have a soil test done to see what the current composition of the soil is. That will tell you what amendments you will need to add to the soil. I would not use one of the home kits, but would use the extension service to do a complete analysis.

Good luck,
    Newt

The Garden Web Forums

• Coal in the soil
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-21 07:24:07

While the presence of coal may be an indication of one of the problems its not the real problem. Start with a soil test that includes the level of humus, or organic matter, and work from there. But I'd bet the major problem is simply a lack of organic matter or possibly a really compacted soil that plant roots won't even try to move into, and organic matter will loosen that so they will.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —