Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Pest Control

Pest Control
Posted by Marg from Ny zone 5 on 2002-03-14 11:05:25

Hi,
Last year I started having our own Veggie Garden and it didn't turn out well. We have very good soil but lots of bugs. They ate the tomatoes literally. Is there anything i can do this year to prepare for them like soil additives? and how do i keep them gone for this years crop. Thank You

Marg
  • Pest control
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-15 08:05:15

The best way to start with pest control is with your soil. Get that built up with lots of organic matter so the soil bacteria, fungi, and earthworms can work at supplying your plants with the nutrients they need when they need them in the quantity necessary and pests won't be that much of a problem. Also limit the amount of insecticdes you use so there is a wide variety of beneficial insects around to help you control any pests that do show up.
    Then when you see a problem and feel the need to take some control measure start with the least toxic (both to you and the insects) measures to control which pest you have.
    A good web site to look at for pest identification and control is at www.geocities.com/ourgardenpests/
    Marsha has done a good job of getting most (the site is still under construction and probably always will be) pests and control measures listed.
    • Bird damage
      Posted by Mrs P Carhart from West Yorkshire on 2006-04-12 01:46:00

At first I thought it was a cat, but then realised it could be a bird that was scatting soil all over my garden? It seems to like to aim for the root of plants? can you give me any good tips to stop this happening? I have to be careful what I place down as I have pets?
    • pest control
      Posted by Sheree from GA on 2006-03-13 10:27:00

See www.pestcontrolblog.com

• Pests help
        Posted by Casey from Louisiana on 2012-06-28 07:49:00

I have these tiny light colored bugs, so small I can't really tell what they look like. There seems to be thousands of them and the only place I am seeing them right now is in my soil! Does anyone know what the may be? How to get rid of them? And will the infect my other plants?

C.hogue_13@yahoo.com

• Pests help
        Posted by Casey (C.hogue_13@yahoo.com) from Louisiana on 2012-06-28 07:34:00

I have these tiny light colored bugs, so small I can't really tell what they look like. There seems to be thousands of them and the only place I am seeing them right now is in my soil! Does anyone know what the may be? How to get rid of them? And will the infect my other plants?

C.hogue_13@yahoo.com

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —