Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Cats in the Garden

Cats in the Garden
Posted by Nancy Hole from Ohio on 2002-03-14 09:37:01

My neighborhood is full of cats and they seem to like to come to my yard to do their 'dirty work'. I've tried pepper - which only lasts until a rain comes, plus, there's lots of area to pepper.
Any area that doesn't have grass is fair game for them. Especially my veggie garden - I try to start seeds or plant onions and they get destroyed. Does anyone have a remedy for this? I do have my own cats also. I just want to keep all cats from dirtying my garden - whether flowers or veggies. HELP!
  • Cats in the Garden
    Posted by Daryl from Ga./Zone 7 on 2002-03-21 08:44:53

Quoting Nancy Hole: ------------
    -My neighborhood is full of cats and they seem to like to come to my yard to do their 'dirty work'. I've tried pepper - which only lasts until a rain comes, plus, there's lots of area to pepper. __

My vet once advised setting common snap-type moustraps Upside Down. It works like a champ against both cats and dogs. After a while, they get tired of having things snap up and surprise them.
    Watch your fingers when you're setting them!
    Some people have reported good luck with using pine cones or sweet gum balls placed in the garden in between plants. If you have those handy, it might be worth a try.
    The Scarecrow, a motion-sensing device that sprays water works great, but watch yourself. It was also very effective against a flower-stealing neighbor!
    -
    • cat poop
      Posted by Jenny from Oklahoma on 2010-01-05 03:32:00

Cats hate citrus, any type. Orange, lemon, grapefruit etc. Scatter the peelings anywhere you don't want the cats and they will detour. I even bought a concentrated orange room fragrance and sprayed my fabric lawn furniture because my neighbors cats were on them so much we wouldn't use them. Now they won't lay on them. I have to spray about once a week.
      The peelings I just through out there speraticsly. Works very well. Hurts no one and you get your vitamin C. Good luck.
    • Pesky Cats
      Posted by Happy Gardener from Virginia on 2002-04-05 12:38:50

Quoting Daryl: ------------
      -Quoting Nancy Hole: ------------
      -My neighborhood is full of cats and they seem to like to come to my yard to do their 'dirty work'. I've tried pepper - which only lasts until a rain comes, plus, there's lots of area to pepper. __

-My vet once advised setting common snap-type moustraps Upside Down. It works like a champ against both cats and dogs. After a while, they get tired of having things snap up and surprise them.
      -Watch your fingers when you're setting them!
      -Some people have reported good luck with using pine cones or sweet gum balls placed in the garden in between plants. If you have those handy, it might be worth a try.
      -The Scarecrow, a motion-sensing device that sprays water works great, but watch yourself. It was also very effective against a flower-stealing neighbor!

Hi Nancy. Amen to the pesky cats! I've found something funny you should check out. My mother in-law has the same problem and I sent her the link to Gardener's Supply. They have these metal spikey things that make it hard for cats to walk through your plants. I think it is worth checking out because even if you don't buy it, you may be able to rig something similar.
      I have a problem with cats and also when dogs come around. I just bought a dog & cat repellant for about $6.00 at Wal Mart. It goes farther than the pepper, but they suggest you use it everyday. I've been using it a couple times a week, especially since we've had some rain recently. They are white crystals that look like cat litter and you can shake them on the area you want to protect.

Best of luck with those fearless felines.

Gardener's Supply.com

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —