Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Name of Purple Plant

Name of Purple Plant
Posted by Ariel (janolan@cox-internet.com) from Tx on 2002-03-13 01:06:11

This is frustrating the crud out of me, I can't remember the name of the purple plant growing like wildfire on the side of my house. It has pink flowers in the spring and summer, and it's IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. If you break open a leaf they are watery inside...SOMEONE help me figure out the name and if you know how to get rid of, I would REALLY appreciate your suggestions before I pull my hair out.

THANKS!
  • purple plant
    Posted by June from SC 8 on 2007-09-05 09:15:00

I believe you have a "purple heart" plant. It is larger than the wandering jew, and hardy.
  • The purple plant mystery
    Posted by Kathy (k_degeorge@hotmail.com) from TX on 2002-04-18 13:41:21

I was given a cutting of this plant and am growing it in a pot. I was told it was related to the "Wandering Jew", but not certain of the specific variety. Thanks for your post though, I'll be cautious not to let it out of it's pot!
  • Name of Purple Plant
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 00:31:29

Quoting Ariel: ------------
    -This is frustrating the crud out of me, I can't remember the name of the purple plant growing like wildfire on the side of my house. It has pink flowers in the spring and summer, and it's IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of. If you break open a leaf they are watery inside...SOMEONE help me figure out the name and if you know how to get rid of, I would REALLY appreciate your suggestions before I pull my hair out.

-THANKS!

Here is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about anything you can think of. They have a forum called 'Name That Plant'.
    If that doesn't work, you might try their forum 'Gardening in Texas'. Here's the link for Texas.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/txgard/

When you post your question, try and say if the plant is in full sun(more than 6 hours), part sun (2 to 6 hours), or in shade, how tall it gets, what is the shape of the leaves, and of course the color of the flowers and the watery leaves as you described here.

Here is the link for their forums. Scroll down for 'Name That Plant'.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —