Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Plant a pineapple ?

Plant a pineapple ?
Posted by Terri Jensen (majestic@netins.net) from Iowa/4&5 on 2002-03-07 17:45:36

Hi, My husband brought home a whole pineapple and told me to cut off the top and plant it and in 5 years I should have a little pineapple. I was wondering if it was that easy. Any paticulars on soil, sun & watering etc would be nice. Can anyone help me. Terri
  • PINEAPPLE
    Posted by Susan from CA on 2002-08-02 13:17:42

Quoting Terri Jensen: ------------
    -Hi, My husband brought home a whole pineapple and told me to cut off the top and plant it and in 5 years I should have a little pineapple. I was wondering if it was that easy. Any paticulars on soil, sun & watering etc would be nice. Can anyone help me. Terri
    TERRI,
    SUNSET MAGAZINE HAD A ARTICAL ON GROWING PINAPPLES IN SO. CA. I HAVE 3 PLANTS. THEY ARE 2 YRS OLD, NO PINEAPPLES YET. BUT I PUT MY PLANTS IN REDWOOD COMPOST OVER LAVA ROCKS. STARTED IN 5GAL POT AND I'M IN 15GAL. I HAVE THEM IN FULL SUN. YOU CAN BUY PINEAPPLE PLANTS WITH BABY PINAPPLES ON THEM.
  • PINEAPPLE
    Posted by Susan from CA on 2002-08-02 12:57:39

Quoting Terri Jensen: ------------
    -Hi, My husband brought home a whole pineapple and told me to cut off the top and plant it and in 5 years I should have a little pineapple. I was wondering if it was that easy. Any paticulars on soil, sun & watering etc would be nice. Can anyone help me. Terri
  • pineapples.....
    Posted by Dan from LA on 2002-04-09 20:53:29

I have a pineapple that I have had for 2 years now. It was easy. Twist off the top (don't cut the fruit with it) and peel off several of the "leaves". You will see small "roots" already there. Dip in some rooting powder and plant in some moist, loose soil. Can't be easier!
  • Pineapple
    Posted by Shirley from OH/5 on 2002-03-25 13:10:24

I did this once. It wasn't easy but it was fun.
    Cut off the top inch or two of the pineapple. Put it in a shallow dish and see if you can get it to root. Keep it out of direct sunlight. Once you have some roots, put it in potting soil, and outside in indirect light. No direct sunlight. Keep the soil moist. You should see growth. As the pineapple grows larger, transplant it into a larger pot with fresh soil.
    A long wet season is what caused my pineapple to rot.
    Good Luck
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —