Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
Strawberries

Strawberries
Posted by Jarred from Sask. on 2002-03-07 00:08:39

I want to plant some strawberries in a flowerbed surrounding my patio. I also want to alternate the strawberry plants with a flowering plant, but not sure what will grow good/ won't effect the strawberries yeild.
  • Strawberry campanion
    Posted by Shirley from OH/5 on 2002-04-08 09:02:10

The herb borage is a good companion plant to strawberries and can be used in your salads too.
  • Strawberry campanion
    Posted by Shirley from OH/5 on 2002-04-08 09:00:59

Quoting Jarred: ------------
    -I want to plant some strawberries in a flowerbed surrounding my patio. I also want to alternate the strawberry plants with a flowering plant, but not sure what will grow good/ won't effect the strawberries yeild.
  • Strawberries
    Posted by Happy Gardener from Virginia on 2002-04-05 12:17:04

Quoting Jarred: ------------
    -I want to plant some strawberries in a flowerbed surrounding my patio. I also want to alternate the strawberry plants with a flowering plant, but not sure what will grow good/ won't effect the strawberries yeild.

I'm a new gardener as well and I am trying strawberries in a small area like you. I've planted marigolds around where my strawberry plants are to help keep out pests like deer. Don't know how it will do, but we will see. The orange should be a contrast with the berries.

FYI - I recently read in a book that you can grow some varieties of strawberry plants in hanging baskets. The picture I saw was beautiful.

I've provided a link to a website I discovered where you can buy metal containers to grow strawberries if you have a small area. Just in case you want to grow more than your area will hold.

Good luck with your berries.

Gardener's Supply Company

GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —