Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Large yard

Large yard
Posted by Yolanda from Maryland/6 on 2002-03-06 17:44:23

Hi I need some ideas we just purchased a new (older home) on a little over 1/2 acre with no landscaping or gardens. I feel a little overwhelmed and not sure where to start. Have 3 large trees in back and two in front. No patio or deck yet any idea would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.
  • Large Yard
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-24 23:52:59

Quoting Yolanda: ------------
    -Hi I need some ideas we just purchased a new (older home) on a little over 1/2 acre with no landscaping or gardens. I feel a little overwhelmed and not sure where to start. Have 3 large trees in back and two in front. No patio or deck yet any idea would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

Kellie gave you some good advice here. To add to that, you might want to think about how you want to use the property. Do you want an area to barbeque, sand box for kids, flower beds, some place quiet to read, a water feature, a nice view from a particular window, a view/neighbor you would like to screen out, etc? What type of gardens do you like - formal, naturalistic? Do you want to attract birds and butterflies? Are deer going to be a problem? Do you need hardscaping (patio, sidewalks, trellis, fence, etc.)? Photographs and drawing your property on graph paper will help you to bring it down to size.

Would a consult with a landscape designer be helpful to you? They could give you a plan that you could do yourself if you so desired. How much do you want/have to spend? Having the answers written down to these questions would be helpful.

To start your landscaping you would need to start with the hardscaping, then trees, shrubs and then flowers.

There is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about anything you might have a question about. I would suggest you follow the link below and start with the 'Landscaping' forum. Do some reading before you post a question. You can also post pictures there as well. There are forums on 'Trees', 'Shrubs', 'Perennials' and even one for the 'Mid-Atlantic' area. Do some reading on the 'Soil, Compost and Mulch' forum before you start planting. The soil is what you will need to pay attention to in order to have healthy plants (this includes the trees and shrubs).

If you post the same question on more than one forum, be sure and change the title a bit as their computer will think you are spamming and block you. For example, if you post on the 'Landscape' forum with "Where to Start?", change the post on the 'Trees' forum to something like "Which Trees Would Work Here?"

Good luck with your project,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

• suggestions
    Posted by Kellie from VA / 7 on 2002-03-14 07:42:42

Quoting Yolanda: ------------
    -Hi I need some ideas we just purchased a new (older home) on a little over 1/2 acre with no landscaping or gardens. I feel a little overwhelmed and not sure where to start. Have 3 large trees in back and two in front. No patio or deck yet any idea would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

These may help you.... 1) since it's a new home for you, wait until May when everything has bloomed/budded, and map your daily sun/shade areas. 2) once you know whether an area (say the front of your house) is a full sun, part sun, or full shade area, then you can decide what you want to plant. 3) best way to get ideas... drive around and look at other landscaping with conditions similar to yours... and don't be afraid to ask the homeowners about their plants... they probably paid alot and inquiries are just like compliments!!!!!
    Good Luck!
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —