Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Edible Plants

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Edible Plants

View Thread:
apple tree problem

apple tree problem
Posted by kim from nv on 2002-03-06 15:23:30

I have 2 apple trees that I planted last year. They both have an area on the trunk where it looks like something has chewed into the wood. The wood looks almost dusty, flaky, and cardboard-ish (inside the hole). The tree has just bloomed, and otherwise looks fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? They are very small trees, maybe 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Apple borers
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-08 07:22:58

If these are near the soil line they may be Roundheaded Appletree borers. You can reach the larva by inserting a thin, flexible wire in the hole to spear the larva or there are parasitic nematodes that can be purchased (probably not cost effective for 2 trees) from a number of places.
    • borers
      Posted by kim from nv on 2002-03-13 15:19:47

Quoting Kimm: ------------
      -If these are near the soil line they may be Roundheaded Appletree borers. You can reach the larva by inserting a thin, flexible wire in the hole to spear the larva or there are parasitic nematodes that can be purchased (probably not cost effective for 2 trees) from a number of places.
      • borers/latex paint
        Posted by kim from nv on 2002-03-13 15:23:08

whoops... they aren't exactly near the bottom. they're actually in the middle of the trunk (but the trunk is only about a foot and half tall. i had heard of borers. do you think it would be a bad idea to paint the tree with latex paint. i'd read that it might help. i'm just not sure if it works, after the pest is already in the tree!?
        • Whoops
          Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-21 07:03:51

These then may well be the Flatheaded Appletree Borer, one of the pests not directly referenced in any of my books at the Apple entry but found on a general search for something else. Supposedly painting the trunk with a dilute solution of white latex paint (50 percent paint/50 percent water) will help.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —