Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Organic Soil

Organic Soil
Posted by Tracy from California/Bay on 2002-03-04 15:27:28

I am just starting a vegetable garden and have taken many months to compost organic matter to add to my soil. I need to add other things such as peat moss? and more dirt. I would like to know where I can find organic dirt. I would hate to contaminate my compost with dirt that is not organic. (no pesticides..etc..)I want to have a truly organic garden. Help! Thanks.
  • Organic soil
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-11 06:39:10

Tracy asked:
    I need to add other things such as peat moss?

Why? The compost that you have added takes the place of peat moss and is much better than peat moss.

and more dirt.

I'd not add anymore "dirt", actually soil (Soil is the stuff plants grow in. Dirt is the stuff you track into the house.) is composed of the mineral component, the sand, silt, and clay, organic matter, air, and water with air and water about 50 percent of the soil mix. Just keep adding your compost, mulch the soil (since compost is a living organism it should not be left exposed to the ravages of the sun, wind, and rain anymore than soil should be) and the amount of humus in the soil will increase.

• Organic Soil
    Posted by Daryl from Ga.zone 7 on 2002-03-09 15:31:44

Quoting Tracy: ------------
    - I would like to know where I can find organic dirt. __

Tracy,

Try contacting a local Organic Farm. Your state Organic Gardening/Farming certification organization will have a list of certified operations.
  • Organic Soil
    Posted by Daryl from Ga.zone 7 on 2002-03-09 15:30:37

Quoting Tracy: ------------
    - I would like to know where I can find organic dirt. __

Tracy,

Try contacting a local Organic Farm. Your state Organic Gardening/Farming certification organization will have a list of certified operations.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —