Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
New Yard

New Yard
Posted by Jane (bajjej@yahoo.com) from Wisconsin Zone on 2002-03-03 21:14:03

Hi! I've been surfing the internet for a few months now trying to get ideas for our "new" yard. We built our house just about 3 years ago. Right up until we built here, the land had been farmed. We're smack dab in the middle of nothingness and are ready to plant some definition/boundaries to our yard. (The lawn is established), so it's time to move up and out with growing things. My biggest dilema is where to start!!!??? I'd like to start with "natural" hedges vs. fences, as we have an acre of land in a western-wind area (we lost the west wall of our garage the first week we were here due to "tornado" winds), so fencing would just end up in the neighbor's yard. Hedges in-and-of-itself is easy enough to pick out (looking at Juniper), but the ol' purse-strings won't support THAT many hedges. I've been kicking the idea around of tall, ornamental grasses (i.e. canegrass, etc.) but am concerned that it would look oppy, just plopping clumps about here and there. If you're so inclined to respond ~ thanks so much. Sincerely, Jane
  • New Yard
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-04-12 07:33:52

Quoting Jane: ------------
    -Hi! I've been surfing the internet for a few months now trying to get ideas for our "new" yard. We built our house just about 3 years ago. Right up until we built here, the land had been farmed. We're smack dab in the middle of nothingness and are ready to plant some definition/boundaries to our yard. (The lawn is established), so it's time to move up and out with growing things. My biggest dilema is where to start!!!??? I'd like to start with "natural" hedges vs. fences, as we have an acre of land in a western-wind area (we lost the west wall of our garage the first week we were here due to "tornado" winds), so fencing would just end up in the neighbor's yard. Hedges in-and-of-itself is easy enough to pick out (looking at Juniper), but the ol' purse-strings won't support THAT many hedges. I've been kicking the idea around of tall, ornamental grasses (i.e. canegrass, etc.) but am concerned that it would look oppy, just plopping clumps about here and there. If you're so inclined to respond ~ thanks so much. Sincerely, Jane

Hi Jane,

You've been given some good advice here. I would like to suggest that you might want to visit The Garden Web. It's a WONDERFUL site and they have forums on just about anything you can think of. There are forums on 'New to Gardening', 'Trees', 'Shrubs', 'Landscape Design', 'Ornamental Grasses & Bamboo' and even different regions such as 'Northern Gardening','Great Lakes Gardening', and 'Mid-West Gardening'. I'm including a link to their main forums page. For the different regions, look on the left hand side of the page.

Good luck with your project. It sounds exciting.

Newt

The Garden Web Forums

• new yard
    Posted by Gwen from Mi/5 on 2002-03-05 22:20:24

-Hi! I've been surfing the internet for a few months now trying to get ideas for our "new" yard. We built our house just about 3 years ago. Right up until we built here, the land had been farmed. We're smack dab in the middle of nothingness and are ready to plant some definition/boundaries to our yard. (The lawn is established), so it's time to move up and out with growing things. My biggest dilema is where to start!!!??? I'd like to start with "natural" hedges vs. fences, as we have an acre of land in a western-wind area (we lost the west wall of our garage the first week we were here due to "tornado" winds), so fencing would just end up in the neighbor's yard. Hedges in-and-of-itself is easy enough to pick out (looking at Juniper), but the ol' purse-strings won't support THAT many hedges. I've been kicking the idea around of tall, ornamental grasses (i.e. canegrass, etc.) but am concerned that it would look oppy, just plopping clumps about here and there. If you're so inclined to respond ~ thanks so much. Sincerely, Jane

-I would suggest starting with trees. a mix of conifers(pines and spruces)and deciduous (lose their leaves in fall)trees.Study your yard first from all angles.Keep in mind views from windows and STAY AWAY FROM POWER LINES!Keep in mind how tall and wide the trees will get. Don't plant too close to house and don't block your view for driving in and out of driveway.Don't rush and plant just anything.Do your homework.The library has a lot of books with info.Keep in mind your drainage,type of soil(clay,sandy),trees with strong wood to withstand ice and snow damage,how invasive the roots are,ect.
    Trees and shrubs are the foundation of a garden and should be planted first.
    My advice to you is to start slow. don't plan on getting everything done in one year. Get your trees planted first because they grow the slowest.Then plant your shrubs and flowers one area at a time. Maybe around the house first and then work your way out.
    Good luck!
    • New Lawn
      Posted by Jane from WI/4b on 2002-03-08 20:27:47

Quoting Gwen: ------------
      -Quoting Jane: ------------

-I would suggest starting with trees. a mix of conifers(pines and spruces)and deciduous (lose their leaves in fall)trees.Study your yard first from all angles.Keep in mind views from windows and STAY AWAY FROM POWER LINES!Keep in mind how tall and wide the trees will get. Don't plant too close to house and don't block your view for driving in and out of driveway.Don't rush and plant just anything.Do your homework.The library has a lot of books with info.Keep in mind your drainage,type of soil(clay,sandy),trees with strong wood to withstand ice and snow damage,how invasive the roots are,ect.
      -Trees and shrubs are the foundation of a garden and should be planted first.
      -My advice to you is to start slow. don't plan on getting everything done in one year. Get your trees planted first because they grow the slowest.Then plant your shrubs and flowers one area at a time. Maybe around the house first and then work your way out.
      -Good luck!
      • New Lawn
        Posted by Jane from WI on 2002-03-08 20:30:49

-Quoting Gwen: ------------
        -Quoting Jane: ------------

-Trees and shrubs are the foundation of a garden and should be planted first.
        -My advice to you is to start slow. don't plan on getting everything done in one year. Get your trees planted first because they grow the slowest.Then plant your shrubs and flowers one area at a time. Maybe around the house first and then work your way out.
        -Good luck!
        Thanks for the reply Gwen! (and the advice!) I'm anxious to get it all done in one year ~ and realize my time table is unrealistic! But starting out with your guidelines is a prudent way to go. Thanks, again! Jane
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —