Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Ideas for area and how to deal with poison ivy, etc...

Ideas for area and how to deal with poison ivy, etc...
Posted by Lucy from OH on 2002-03-01 13:30:03

Hello,

I needed some advice about an area I have that is approximately 15ft long x 5ft or so wide. I have planted a hydrangea in the backside of the area. Probably not a good idea now, but I just kinda did it without thinking! I also have a Rose of Sharon planted near the hydrangea. (I forgot to mention there is a 3 board fence in the back of the area).

There are a few blackberry bushes starting, which my hubby refuses to let me get rid of. There is a pink honeysuckle growing against the fence(backside of area). The rest pretty much gets covered in poison ivy in the summer. I have mulched heavily, sprayed insecticide for the poison, etc. But I can never seem to get completely rid of it. That is why it is so difficult for me to work in this area. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I could plant that might "squeeze" out the poison ivy, and maybe some type of plants that would grow carefree (or pretty much) until I can get the poison under control? Or does anyone have a design idea for this size area? I'm pretty much open to anything, just nothing real expensive. ha ha I have a digital camera and would take a picture to post if I knew how to, but I don't know how to post pictures on the Internet or anything. If it would help, and someone could tell me how to post the picture I would be willing to do that as well.

I apologize for the lengthiness of this, I just wanted to try to make it as clear as possible. Hopefully, it will make sense.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback! :)
  • Poison Ivy
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 02:03:59

Quoting Lucy: ------------
    -Hello,

-I needed some advice about an area I have that is approximately 15ft long x 5ft or so wide. I have planted a hydrangea in the backside of the area. Probably not a good idea now, but I just kinda did it without thinking! I also have a Rose of Sharon planted near the hydrangea. (I forgot to mention there is a 3 board fence in the back of the area).

-There are a few blackberry bushes starting, which my hubby refuses to let me get rid of. There is a pink honeysuckle growing against the fence(backside of area). The rest pretty much gets covered in poison ivy in the summer. I have mulched heavily, sprayed insecticide for the poison, etc. But I can never seem to get completely rid of it. That is why it is so difficult for me to work in this area. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I could plant that might "squeeze" out the poison ivy, and maybe some type of plants that would grow carefree (or pretty much) until I can get the poison under control? Or does anyone have a design idea for this size area? I'm pretty much open to anything, just nothing real expensive. ha ha I have a digital camera and would take a picture to post if I knew how to, but I don't know how to post pictures on the Internet or anything. If it would help, and someone could tell me how to post the picture I would be willing to do that as well.

-I apologize for the lengthiness of this, I just wanted to try to make it as clear as possible. Hopefully, it will make sense.

-Would greatly appreciate any feedback! :)

I just loved your long post. There is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about anything you can think of. Below is a link to their directory of forums.

Here is a link for the search I did on poison ivy for their entire site. Lots to read here.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/?sp-q=poison+ivy&which=all&sp-a=00040229-sp00000000&sp-p=all

Here is a link about posting pictures and lots of other stuff for the internet.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/helpme/Tutorial6.htm#1

Here's a link about posting pictures on The Garden Web.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/?sp-q=how+to+post+pictures&sp-a=00040229-sp00000000

Here are their directions for posting pictures at their site that area already stored on your own computer.

Special Notes for Uploading Images:

You will be asked to designate your image file on the preview page, the second step in posting. You should see an edit box asking for the image file name and a Browse button to the right of it. Click on the browse button to locate the file on your computer. Image uploads are not enabled for followup messages.
    The Subject of your post should describe your image, i.e., "Lilium superbum."
    It is illegal to post copyrighted material. Only post images which you have created.
    Image files may not be larger than 60 kilobytes.
    Images must be either in GIF or JPEG format and have one of the following file extensions: .gif, .jpeg or .jpg
    File names containing only letters, numbers, dashes or underlines will work best, such as: "im-1_a.jpg" File names containing special charcters like #, @ or %, may cause problems.
    File uploads work with Netscape version 2.0 and above, and Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0, but they do not work with many of the browsers that claim to be compatible with Netscape,
    including earlier versions of Internet Explorer.

Hope I haven't thrown too much at you at once.

Have fun,
    Newt

The Garden Web Forums

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —