Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Greenhouse Heater

Greenhouse Heater
Posted by Brett from Tennessee/7 on 2002-02-27 19:25:25

I just put up a new 10x10 poly covered greenhouse that I recieved for Christmas and am interested in adding water and heat. For now, I am mainly interested in seed starting, but i am sure my interest will expand. From the research I've done on heaters, a 120V electric heater seems to fit my budget and BTU requirements. I intend to install a ground fault receptacle for the heater. I am also thinking about adding some sort of overhead irrigation connected to a simple timer and garden hose that would either spray or mist everything at once. I am thinking that the misting opion might be the best because it will also help to cool the greenhouse in the summer. Any suggestions? What are the considerations for the location of the heater? Is under a table ok? I am mostly concerned with locating the heater in a moist, wet environment.
  • Electric Greenhouse heater
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-04 07:29:37

Since this will be a fairly moist environment you would want to be sure the heater is classified for that type of environment and you mnay find those are not as inexpensive as the units most places sell which are not rated for severe service applications.
    Otherwise, since heat rises, you should consider placing your heater low, near the floor.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —