Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Seed Starting

Seed Starting
Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-02-26 16:11:19

Hey all North-Easteners
im a new gardener, i was just planting my garden. I plan on putting most of my plants out on memorial day weekend, but i don't know when to start them from seed indoors. Any tips? What are you doing? I also dont know when to put out earlier vegetables (like carrots) and whether or not to start them indoors.
thanks
  • plans
    Posted by Steve from NY on 2002-04-07 16:37:51

Thanks for the replys.
    I started my tomatoes, peppers, and chives at the end of March. They have just started sprouting up ( i think my house is too cold) Im starting my cucumbers, maby pumpkins, zinnias, morning glories, and maby mint from seed in about a few weeks. I going to put my carrots and maby dill out in april. Does this sound good?
  • answer to steve
    Posted by hildie (hklausser@aol.com) from New York on 2002-04-04 19:08:27

- Hi Steve, I garden on Long Island, N.y. I start geraniums in Feb., all other flower seeds in mid-march, veg/ seeds (tomatoes, broccoli, peppers etc.) around April 15th. Plant peas outside by St.Patricks day. Lettuce, onions and cabbages in mid april and carrots in May. About a week before Memorial Day I put out my heat loving veg. Such as tomatoes peppers and eggplants.
  • Seed Starting
    Posted by Terry from Maine/Zone 5 on 2002-03-17 14:23:34

Quoting Steve: ------------
    -Hey all North-Easteners
    -im a new gardener, i was just planning my garden. I plan on putting most of my plants out on memorial day weekend, but i don't know when to start them from seed indoors. Any tips? What are you doing? I also dont know when to put out earlier vegetables (like carrots) and whether or not to start them indoors.
    -thanks
    I start tomatoes and peppers around March 20th and put them into the garden Memorial Day Weekend. I put pea, lettuce & onion seeds into the garden on 5/1 last year and that worked. I waited until 5/20 to sow cukes, beans and annual herbs. This schedule worked great for me. Good luck.
  • Seed starting
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-28 07:09:52

Kind of depends. Frost hardy stuff, such as the cabbage family, can be started now and put out long before your latest date of frost while frost tender stuff, such as tomatoes, should not be started sooner than about 8 weeks before your latest date of frost and then set out after that date. Other things, which don't transplant well, peas, carrots, corn, need to be direct seeded but the peas and carrots can be seeded in the garden much sooner than can corn. The seed packets should give some general guidance on this.
    • how to seperate the plants if too many seeds are in one spot
      Posted by cynthia williams (phillip_cynthia@yahoo.com) from Georgia on 2006-04-27 12:11:00

I have never grown carrots and now I have a very thick row of carrots and I need to know how to seperate them so they wont choke and die they are very very thick.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —