Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
BEES

BEES
Posted by Robin from MI on 2002-02-23 23:06:37

I live in MI and in the summer there are thousands of small bees that are comming up from the ground in my flower beds. How do I get rid of them. I have small childern and I don't want them to get stung. Thank you for any help you can give me. Robin
  • Bees
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-26 07:38:17

Probably what you have are those ornery yellow jackets and those you do need to get rid of. Most of the other bees will be happy to just get any pollen your flowers have and won't bother you except under very unusual circumstances, but yellow jackets will come over to see what you are eating and drinking and get mad if you don't allow them to take what they consider their fair share.
    A clear glass jar placed over the entrance hole will trap a large number, but you really need to get the queen down in the nest. Placing a screen of some kind around that entrance hole to keep your kids and pets away and then putting down some Sevin powder so the yellow jackets have to walk through it to enter the nest will get rid of them after a while. Use due care when handling this stuff since it is a very toxic poison.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —