Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Help! Lanscape Blues

Help! Lanscape Blues
Posted by thelast1 from Pa. on 2002-02-17 12:56:41

Hi, New here!
I need some serious help with a garden I started in the fall. We had to build a fence for a pool this summer. So when fall came I decide to make a curve border along the outside of fence.Our house in a end house so this fence faces a busy road.I wanted to stay away from putting shrubs or bushes there, and do a flower garden. I planted spring bulbs, there and yes due to a warm winter I can see they are doing good so far. My problem is now I dont know what to put there come
summer. It is really long about 80 foot.
I thought about putting all pernials
as I already spend alot every year on annuals, and this would cost a mint to put them there. I have any idea of putting balck eye susans and coneflowers and can get free hostas and hens and chickens. I realy wanted to put a butterfly bush on one end.
My problem spots are a tree about three foot in front of this area and a lilic bush that sits at the end of the one corner but is inside the fence area. ANy pictures or ideas Please send. Any one willing to look at pictures of the area to offer more help. Please email me! Thanks ahead!
  • Oops, here's the rest of Help, Landscape Blues
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 03:48:50

Quoting thelast1: ------------
    -Hi, New here!
    -I need some serious help with a garden I started in the fall. We had to build a fence for a pool this summer. So when fall came I decide to make a curve border along the outside of fence.Our house in a end house so this fence faces a busy road.I wanted to stay away from putting shrubs or bushes there, and do a flower garden. I planted spring bulbs, there and yes due to a warm winter I can see they are doing good so far. My problem is now I dont know what to put there come
    -summer. It is really long about 80 foot.
    -I thought about putting all pernials
    -as I already spend alot every year on annuals, and this would cost a mint to put them there. I have any idea of putting balck eye susans and coneflowers and can get free hostas and hens and chickens. I realy wanted to put a butterfly bush on one end.
    -My problem spots are a tree about three foot in front of this area and a lilic bush that sits at the end of the one corner but is inside the fence area. ANy pictures or ideas Please send. Any one willing to look at pictures of the area to offer more help. Please email me! Thanks ahead!

Free plants are always good! Take the hostas and chicks and hens. A clematis growing up the lilac bush would be nice. Then you could get extra duty out of the lilac. You are right to think about perennials and even biennials since the bed is so large.

There is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. It has forums on just about any topic you could think of. There are forums on 'Landscape Design' and you can post pictures there, 'Seed Exchange' where people often offer seeds for postage, 'Seed Saving', 'Perennials' where you can learn about different plants, 'Plant Exchange' where people will often offer plants for postage, 'Vines', 'Clematis' where you could learn about the different types for the lilac and maybe your fence, 'New to Gardening' and even one for 'Mid-Atlantic Gardening'.

I don't know where in Pa. you are, but we will be having a plant swap in the Baltimore, Md., area on May 18th. There will be many plants that will need homes for people without plants to trade. You could bring something to eat or crafts to trade. I would ask that you check with them and make sure what you want to bring will be ok. It's a great way to meet other gardeners and get free plants. There is also one in Lancaster, Pa., each summer, so that might be an option for you as well. I'm not sure what their rules for people without plants to trade would be. You would have to check with them when they post the swap. If you visit the 'Mid-Atlantic Gardening' forum you will find info about the plant swaps there.

Here is a link you can copy and paste for the 'Mid-Atlantic Forum'.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/midatl/

The link for all the Garden Web Forums is below.

Good luck. Hope to type at you at the Garden Web.

Newt

Garden Web Forums

• Help, Landscape Blues
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 03:45:34

-Hi, New here!
    -I need some serious help with a garden I started in the fall. We had to build a fence for a pool this summer. So when fall came I decide to make a curve border along the outside of fence.Our house in a end house so this fence faces a busy road.I wanted to stay away from putting shrubs or bushes there, and do a flower garden. I planted spring bulbs, there and yes due to a warm winter I can see they are doing good so far. My problem is now I dont know what to put there come
    -as I already spend alot every year on annuals, and this would cost a mint to put them there. I have any idea of putting balck eye susans and coneflowers and can get free hostas and hens and chickens. I realy wanted to put a butterfly bush on one end.
    -My problem spots are a tree about three foot in front of this area and a lilic bush that sits at the end of the one corner but is inside the fence area. ANy pictures or ideas Please send. Any one willing to look at pictures of the area to offer more help. Please email me! Thanks ahead!

Free plants are always good! Take the hostas and chicks and hens. A clematis growing up the lilac bush would be nice. Then you could get extra duty out of the lilac. You are right to think about perennials and even biennials since the bed is so large.

There is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. It has forums on just about any topic you could think of. There are forums on 'Landscape Design' and you can post pictures there, 'Seed Exchange' where people often offer seeds for postage, 'Seed Saving', 'Perennials' where you can learn about different plants, 'Plant Exchange' where people will often offer plants for postage, 'Vines', 'Clematis' where you could learn about the different types for the lilac and maybe your fence, 'New to Gardening' and even one for 'Mid-Atlantic Gardening'.

I don't know where in Pa. you are, but we will be having a plant swap in the Baltimore, Md., area on May 18th. There will be many plants that will need homes for people without plants to trade. You could bring something to eat or crafts to trade. I would ask that you check with them and make sure what you want to bring will be ok. It's a great way to meet other gardeners and get free plants. There is also one in Lancaster, Pa., each summer, so that might be an option for you as well. I'm not sure what their rules for people without plants to trade would be. You would have to check with them when they post the swap. If you visit the 'Mid-Atlantic Gardening' forum you will find info about the plant swaps there.

Here is a link you can copy and paste for the 'Mid-Atlantic Forum'.

• bed ideas
    Posted by Brenda from NC on 2002-03-14 17:27:20

Hi, first time here also, thought I might give you a few ideas of plants for your new bed.I would email you, but couldnt find your address on here...

I would put in some gladiolus, dahlia , iris,and hostas. These plants may cost a few bucks in the beginning, but the first three will multiply each year, giving you more bloom for the buck.(Instead of spending big $$ for mail order bulbs, try your local Walmart or Home Depot garden center...the best bulbs I have purchased at a really good price !) The hostas will spread out each year and should do nicely against a fence, as long as its a privacy fence or a type of fence that gives a fair amount of shade. As you stated, you can get free hostas and hens and chicks, so I would start with those. I grow coneflowers and black eyed susans in a corner garden on my property, and they do well in a partly shaded area like you have to work with.As for annuals, if you choose ones that have a spreading habit, you will spend less for max coverage...like the wave petunias, or lantana (some areas this is a perennial plant)The best way I have found to plan a garden is to look at other peoples gardens, and in parks and public gardens to see what works best. Good Luck !
  • bed ideas
    Posted by Brenda from NC on 2002-03-14 17:09:17

-Hi, New here!
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —