Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Whitefly in the house

Whitefly in the house
Posted by Cal Schmidt from NY,4/5 on 2002-02-17 09:18:21

My African violets infected with whitefly. May I immerse them in a water bath with liquid detergent added? I know to keep plants out of sun until dry. Any other suggestions? Thanks
  • White fly and African Violets
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-20 07:34:29

The best way to control White Fly is with insecticidal soap, but African Violets don't like getting their leaves wet. Yellow sticky traps can help control these guys that have a life span of about 20 to 30 days but that won't get the nymphs which emerge from the eggs about 2 gays after being laid ready to do damage. Check the undersides of the leaves for eggs and squish those. You could try dabbing with a cotton swab and rubbing alchohol but that is pretty tedious. The rest of the stuff you could use is too toxic for use in the house.
    • Whitefly/violets
      Posted by Cal S. from NY, 4/5 on 2002-02-20 12:37:43

Thanks for the info. Not getting the leaves of African violets wet is, I believe, an "old wives tale." It is only a problem if the plants are in the sun, when they then develope burns from the heated water. I have watched the folks at the Lyons greenhouses in upstate NY water their plants, including seedlings, with a spray nozzle on a hose. The houses have their glass "whitewashed" and the seedlings are under fluorescent lamps below the main benches.Lyons has been a commercial grower for more than 50 years, perhaps 75.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —