Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Pampas Grass {selloana}

Pampas Grass {selloana}
Posted by gnu from Cleveland Ohio on 2002-02-12 17:47:09

I have a 5' by 20' bed and I want 3 groups of selloana spaced evenly. I have never planted these grasses and I do not know how many plants to buy. I would also like advise on smaller companion plants to fill the spaces. I get 5 to 6 hours of sun spring to fall.

Thanks.GDLD424@aolo.com
  • Pampas grass
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-03-01 07:26:05

Be aware that "Cortaderia selloana" is not reliably hardy in zone 6 or even 7, although it might survive with good protection it may never get to its full potential. Something to consider in its place might be "Erianthus ravennae" which looks similar but is more reliably hardy and doesn't seem to need quite as much growing season to flower, although its not reliable for flowering in Michigan.
  • not to many
    Posted by thelast1 from pa on 2002-02-17 12:44:18

I would realy find out about this, As these tend to grow rather fast and big.
    A friend planted two each(4total) on either side of her walkway to her door. They are over grown and over taken everthing else. Only after a year. I belive there were six gallon pots!!Good Luck!!!!

Quoting gnu: ------------
    -I have a 5' by 20' bed and I want 3 groups of selloana spaced evenly. I have never planted these grasses and I do not know how many plants to buy. I would also like advise on smaller companion plants to fill the spaces. I get 5 to 6 hours of sun spring to fall.

Thanks.GDLD424@aolo.com
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —