Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
Lipstick Plant

Lipstick Plant
Posted by Leslie McC (essiemcc@usa.net) from Western KY on 2002-02-12 15:37:57

I purchased a lipstick plant and it was doing well until I took it home from work for repotting. It almost died. At the time I didn't have much light in my house. When I returned it to its favorite window at work it has more than doubled in size and doing great. That has been over a year ago. My problem is I can't get it to bloom. What do I need to do? Do they only bloom a certain time of the year? And I can't find much information on the web about my plant either. Could it go by another name?
All advise is greatly appreciated!!
  • lipstick plant
    Posted by Will Creed from NYC on 2002-02-15 20:16:37

Lipstick plant is aeschynanthus lobbianus. Indoors it needs lots of bright indirect light with a couple of hours of direct sunlight. Keep the soil moderately moist at all times, but not wet for extended periods. It also prefers warm temps above 60 degrees. It will get leggy if it is not pruned regularly. The best time to prune is when there are no buds in formation. Prune the longest stems back to several inches above the soil. Remember, the new growth will start at the point that you cut back to, so you should cut back pretty far to produce fullness in the center of the plant.

The repotting is the likely reason yours is not flowering. Nearly all flowering plants will not bloom until they have filled the pot with roots.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will Creed, Horticulturist
    Horticultural Help, NYC
    Email: willcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Quoting Leslie McC: ------------
    -I purchased a lipstick plant and it was doing well until I took it home from work for repotting. It almost died. At the time I didn't have much light in my house. When I returned it to its favorite window at work it has more than doubled in size and doing great. That has been over a year ago. My problem is I can't get it to bloom. What do I need to do? Do they only bloom a certain time of the year? And I can't find much information on the web about my plant either. Could it go by another name?
    -All advise is greatly appreciated!!

Insiders' Plant Information

Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —