Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
QUESTIONS FROM A NOVICE

QUESTIONS FROM A NOVICE
Posted by ERNIE (MREBWOOD32@AOL.COM) from WASH. DC on 2002-02-08 20:10:28

HELLO, YOU CAN CALL ME ERNIE
I'M NEW TO THIS SITE AS WELL AS THIS WHOLE LANDSCAPING THING. BUT ITS SOMETHING I LOVE AND I BELIEVE ITS MY NICH IN LIFE. SO QUESTION #1: WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PERENIALS AND ANNUALS? TOLD YOU I WAS A BEGINNER.
PROFESSIONALS YOU CAN POST YOUR ANSWERS IN THE REPLY SECTION. OR E-MAIL ME.AND I'LL POST ALL ANSWERS IN THIS SECTION ALSO.

• Questions from a novice
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 03:55:15

Quoting ERNIE: ------------
    -HELLO, YOU CAN CALL ME ERNIE
    I'M NEW TO THIS SITE AS WELL AS THIS WHOLE LANDSCAPING THING. BUT ITS SOMETHING I LOVE AND I BELIEVE ITS MY NICH IN LIFE. SO QUESTION #1: WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PERENIALS AND ANNUALS? TOLD YOU I WAS A BEGINNER.
    -PROFESSIONALS YOU CAN POST YOUR ANSWERS IN THE REPLY SECTION. OR E-MAIL ME.AND I'LL POST ALL ANSWERS IN THIS SECTION ALSO.

Hi Ernie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening. Since you are new to this, I'd like to recommend a FANTASTIC site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about any gardening topic you can think of. They even have one for 'Mid-Atlantic Gardening'. There is also a forum called 'New to Gardening' that might be very helpful. Here is the link so you can read there and have a great time.

Also, please when you post undo the Caps Lock on your keyboard. When you type all in caps, it means that you are yelling.

Newt

Garden Web Forums

• perennials/annuals
    Posted by Gwen from Mi/5 on 2002-02-15 12:01:49

Quoting ERNIE: ------------
    -HELLO, YOU CAN CALL ME ERNIE
    -PROFESSIONALS YOU CAN POST YOUR ANSWERS IN THE REPLY SECTION. OR E-MAIL ME.AND I'LL POST ALL ANSWERS IN THIS SECTION ALSO.

-Perennials are great because you plant them once and they get better every year (sometimes after a few years you will have to dig them up and separate them because they will get too thick. But the good in this is you'll have more plants then you started with.)
    The down fall of perennials is they have a shorter blooming time. They don't bloom from spring to fall.usually a few weeks and then you have a lot of greenery.Do your homework and find plants that bloom at different times. Some bloom in spring,some in early summer,some in late summer, some in fall.
    This is where annuals come in handy. plant annuals among your perennials to give you continuous color ALL season!
    Good luck!Just remember gardening is trial and error ,nothing is written in stone. If something doesn't work in one spot don't hesitate to move it.

• Perennials versus Annuals
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-10 06:51:09

A perennial is a plant that grows several seasons without being replanted. There are short lived perennials and then there are perennials that have outlasted several gardeners.
    An annual is a plant that in your area will only grow one season. Many plants that are perennials in therir native habitat are annuals in my habitat, although conceivably I could keep them alive over winter with a big enough conservatory. Some plants are true annuals, they grow from seed, flower, set seed, and die leaving only their seeds behind to grow again next year.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —