Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Starting a new lawn

Starting a new lawn
Posted by Little Rugrat from NC /8A on 2002-02-06 11:07:04

Where do I begin I've let my husband do it his way, I let my father-in-law do it his way and its been two years and I still have no grass. So here is what I think Disk the yard, plant rye, and bemuda grass seeds then cover the seeds lightly. Maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong. When do I plant it? Please help I am so tired of looking at dirt....

New lawn

• Starting a lawn
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-09 07:38:21

North Carolina, most likely you have that nice, easily workable gumbo clay. Have the previous attempts to establish a seeded lawn been in the spring? Not a good time since spring turns fairly rapidly to the hot, dry summer before the grass has much chance to get established and then it dies out from the heat and lack of moisture.
    Consider that you are establihing a perennial garden and get the soil in good tilth for that adding copious quantities of organic matter over the summer and in the fall, when weather conditions become more conducive to grass growth (cooler weather, more moisture generally available, weeds not germinating as readily) seed the area with a good quality grass mixture designed for your local condtions.
    • Thanks Kimm
      Posted by little rugrat from NC /8A on 2002-02-11 20:45:06

Quoting Kimm: ------------
      -North Carolina, most likely you have that nice, easily workable gumbo clay. Have the previous attempts to establish a seeded lawn been in the spring? Not a good time since spring turns fairly rapidly to the hot, dry summer before the grass has much chance to get established and then it dies out from the heat and lack of moisture.
      -Consider that you are establihing a perennial garden and get the soil in good tilth for that adding copious quantities of organic matter over the summer and in the fall, when weather conditions become more conducive to grass growth (cooler weather, more moisture generally available, weeds not germinating as readily) seed the area with a good quality grass mixture designed for your local condtions.
      • Starting a lawn
        Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-12 06:59:02

Last night I attended a class on "Common Sense Lawn Care" and the lecturer, the owner of a lawn care business, former MSU Extension Service horticulturist, graduate of MSU's turf school, talked about all the stuff I said. Start with a good foundation, soil, since grasses are perannial plants and they should be grown in soil at least as good as what we grow our flowers in. Most all disease and pest problems will be reduced if the grasses are grown in good soil.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —