Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Design Project

Design Project
Posted by Paul Gillam (paul@gillam.com) from Nottingham, UK on 2002-02-04 06:31:03

I am a design student at university, i am designing a device to supersede a traditional watering can. it will eliminate lifting & carrying a water filled container, and will have a propelling system to push the water out over one's plants, using kinetic energies (i.e. walking) around a gardening person (imagine using a vacuum cleaner). it is also not attached to a hosepipe.
my query: firstly, what time of year do people water their gardens?
secondly, what is the age range of typical gardeners (i.e. 25-80), and therefore how much body movement would be appropriate for such a device? taking into account ageing joints etc.
thirdly, what in a garden is usually watered? e.g. flower beds, hanging baskets, lawn feeding... etc.
and finally, how much money would you be willing to spend on a device that would make general watering that much easier?
  • Design Project
    Posted by Daryl from Georgia/Zone 7 on 2002-02-09 16:07:08

Quoting Paul Gillam: ------------
    -I am a design student at university, i am designing a device to supersede a traditional watering can. it will eliminate lifting & carrying a water filled container, and will have a propelling system to push the water out over one's plants, using kinetic energies (i.e. walking) around a gardening person (imagine using a vacuum cleaner). it is also not attached to a hosepipe.
    -my query: firstly, what time of year do people water their gardens?
    -secondly, what is the age range of typical gardeners (i.e. 25-80), and therefore how much body movement would be appropriate for such a device? taking into account ageing joints etc.
    -thirdly, what in a garden is usually watered? e.g. flower beds, hanging baskets, lawn feeding... etc.
    -and finally, how much money would you be willing to spend on a device that would make general watering that much easier?

Paul,
    When people water depends on when they're dry. Here in my climate, it can be year 'round.
    Gardeners come in all ages. The oldest I know that's still active and spry is 104, the youngest, about 18 months.
    for a repetitive chore like watering, we like to do as little moving as necessary. Dragging a hose is not much of a problem unless it's over 50 feet long.
    Most gardeners hand water pots and hanging baskets. Lawns are generally done mechanically.
    As for price, $15 US seems to be the price point.

Hope this helps.
GardeningwithKids.org Catalog

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —