Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
low growing perennials in a raised bed

low growing perennials in a raised bed
Posted by chaike Levine from CA Zone 9/21 on 2002-02-03 23:40:21

I have a 5ft. x 3ft. raised bed in front of my entrance facing southeast. It receives morning sun and some afternoon sun (until about 2 p.m. in the summer). I would appreciate suggeststions for a low maintenace, evergreen perennial that would reach a maximum height of about 18 inches. a flowering plant would be great although a variegated leaf might be interesting.
Thank you. Chaike
  • Evergreen Perennials
    Posted by Kellie from VA/7 on 2002-03-14 08:22:38

Quoting chaike Levine: ------------
    -I have a 5ft. x 3ft. raised bed in front of my entrance facing southeast. It receives morning sun and some afternoon sun (until about 2 p.m. in the summer). I would appreciate suggeststions for a low maintenace, evergreen perennial that would reach a maximum height of about 18 inches. a flowering plant would be great although a variegated leaf might be interesting.
    -Thank you. Chaike

Here are a few... 1) Liriope (comes dark green or varigated, summer blooms purple or white, black berries winter) very hardy, some varieties spread by underground stems. ((Liriope muscari)) (Big Blue)/solid or L.m.(Silvery Sunproof)/varigated, are two of my favorites
    2) Skimmia (actually considered a shrub, but S.reevesiana is a dwarf to 24" with crimson fruit and white flowers with glossy rich-green leaves)
    3) Evergreen Candytuft (narrow shiny dark-green leaves with pure white flower clusters) ((Iberis sempervirens)) (Purity)6-12"h (Snowflake) 4-12"h... both spreading.

For more ideas, refer to a good plant encylopedia (Treasury of Gardening & Southern Livings' Garden Book are two with photos and good descriptions) Spend some time at your local bookstore, you'll be amazed!!!

Good luck!
  • Rosemary
    Posted by John from Ca/ 9 on 2002-02-04 08:36:27

In zone 9 rosemary grows as an evergreen. It is easy care, you get blue flowers this time of year and fragrance whenever you rub it. You also end up with a very useful herb. Great for smoking meat on the BBQ or use some to make a tea that helps sinus congestion.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Special Report - Garden to Table

— ADVERTISEMENTS —