Topic: Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Houseplants & Indoor Gardening

View Thread:
National Gardening Seed Swap

Posted by Barbara Richardson, National Gardening from VT on 2002-02-01 16:14:46

Hello everyone,

Just a reminder that you can connect with other gardeners online to swap your extra seeds! Visit our Seed Swap at the link above.

Just a note: we ask that you swap only seeds, not other plant parts. Some states restrict the shipping of certain plants across state lines due to plant disease and insect problems.

Have fun!
Barbara

• seed swap
    Posted by Linda (kwyet1@hotmail.com) from ct on 2002-02-04 10:50:52

I did this last year with wonderful results....I loved getting home everyday and finding an envelope from somewhere else in the country. This year however, I am concerned. I heard the the post offices will be irratiating (sp?) mail...and that it kills all seeds. Do you know anything about this???

Quoting Barbara Richardson, National Gardening: ------------
    -Hello everyone,

-Just a reminder that you can connect with other gardeners online to swap your extra seeds! Visit our Seed Swap at the link above.

-Just a note: we ask that you swap only seeds, not other plant parts. Some states restrict the shipping of certain plants across state lines due to plant disease and insect problems.

-Have fun!
    -Barbara
    • seed swap
      Posted by Nanette Murray from canada on 2014-07-30 03:58:00

I'd love to join a group for seed swap you make too hard to log in
    • seed swap
      Posted by Nanette Murray from canada on 2014-07-30 03:50:00

I'd love to join a group for seed swap
    • The latest on irradiated mail
      Posted by Barbara Richardson from VT on 2002-03-22 10:14:08

Quoting Linda: ------------
      -I did this last year with wonderful results....I loved getting home everyday and finding an envelope from somewhere else in the country. This year however, I am concerned. I heard the the post offices will be irratiating (sp?) mail...and that it kills all seeds. Do you know anything about this???

Hi Linda,

Here's the latest mail irradiation news as published in our Better Gardener Newsletter (available to National Gardening Association members):

Irradiating Plants?

Various gardening media outlets have reported that the U.S. Postal Service has indicated that in response to concerns of possible terrorist activity, mail may be irradiated. This would create a serious problem for people sending seeds, cuttings and other plant material through the mail because of the potential effects of the irradiation process on living materials. However it should be noted that USPS is only irradiating packages shipped to Washington, D.C. ZIP codes beginning with 202-205. Additionally the following types of mail will not be irradiated even to these limited ZIP codes: USPS Express mail with meter strips or corporate accounts, priority mail with meter strips or permit indicia, all registered mail and bulk quantity mail such as catalogs and magazines. So gardeners from other parts of the country worried about ordering seeds and plants through the mail can relax!

If you are interested in receiving the Better Gardener News and other NGA member benefits, you can read more about it at the link above.

I hope this reassures you! Barbara

NGA Better Gardener Club

• Irradiation and Seeds
      Posted by Barbara from VT on 2002-02-04 11:21:04

Hi Linda,

Thanks for bringing this up...I hadn't even considered how this would affect our Seed Swappers! I believe that most mail order seed companies are using UPS or FedEx to mail their goods to customers to avoid the problem.

I've read only bits and pieces about mail irradiation. A gardening trade publication recently published an article that indicated that the irradiation method used to kill bacterial spores is strong enough to kill seeds. However, I believe the only mail that is being irradiated is going through DC and NJ. But, to be certain, you'd have to contact the Postal Service.

If you do investigate this, please come back and let us know what you find out.

Thanks again. Let's hope that these precautions won't be needed much longer.

Barbara
      Quoting Linda: ------------
      -I did this last year with wonderful results....I loved getting home everyday and finding an envelope from somewhere else in the country. This year however, I am concerned. I heard the the post offices will be irratiating (sp?) mail...and that it kills all seeds. Do you know anything about this???

-Quoting Barbara Richardson, National Gardening: ------------
      -Hello everyone,

-Just a reminder that you can connect with other gardeners online to swap your extra seeds! Visit our Seed Swap at the link above.

-Just a note: we ask that you swap only seeds, not other plant parts. Some states restrict the shipping of certain plants across state lines due to plant disease and insect problems.

-Have fun!
      -Barbara
      • Irradiated seeds
        Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-20 07:24:39

I have a copy of a letter written by the owner of Johnny's Selected Seeds that says the USPS is watching for packages of a certain type that won't be irradiated and currently only two markets have the equipment anyway. If BER will e-mail me I'll forward that letter to her.
        • Letter from Johnny's
          Posted by Ber from VT on 2002-02-20 10:13:45

Hi Kim,

I'd love to see the letter -- did it come with an order you placed, or is it in their current catalog?

Ber

Barbara Richardson
          National Gardening Association
          1100 Dorset St.
          So. Burlington, VT 05403

Quoting Kimm: ------------
          -I have a copy of a letter written by the owner of Johnny's Selected Seeds that says the USPS is watching for packages of a certain type that won't be irradiated and currently only two markets have the equipment anyway. If BER will e-mail me I'll forward that letter to her.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Holiday Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —