Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
Just starting out

Just starting out
Posted by Christine from California, Zon on 2002-01-31 15:42:40

I am ready to start my garden, but it is January and everything is wet and cold. What can I do now to get ready for the gardening season?
  • Just starting out
    Posted by Newt from Maryland zone 7 on 2002-03-25 05:16:56

Quoting Christine: ------------
    -I am ready to start my garden, but it is January and everything is wet and cold. What can I do now to get ready for the gardening season?

You might want to add compost to the soil when it dries out. In the meantime you can do some reading. There is a WONDERFUL site called The Garden Web. They have forums on just about everything you can think of where you can read and post. Some that might interest you would be 'New to Gardening', 'Landscape Design', 'Perennials' and 'California Gardening'.

Here is a link.

Good luck,
    Newt

Garden Web Forums

• What to do in the garden now ???
    Posted by Kathleen from MI/5 on 2002-02-11 11:43:36

Hi Christine,

Now is the perfect time to take stock of your garden and potential new gardens. Walk around your garden areas to determine where you need to plant more things and/or which plants need to be moved. Start combing through your garden catalogs and make lists of what you would like to plant. Be sure to observe the views from inside your home of the location of any new gardens - doing this can help you determine the plants you want for the best garden view possible.

Lewis Gardens:Gardening and Perennial Resource

• Just starting
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-02-01 06:53:03

Right now plan and dream, or dream and plan. Make sketches representing you planting areas and attempt to figure out exposure to sun, wind, and rain. Look at your soil and try to determine what you have and what it will need for the plants you plan on putting there. Dig into catalogs to see what is available and could grow in your area.
Donate Today

The Garden in Every School Initiative

Shop Our Fall Catalog

— ADVERTISEMENTS —